[RFC|Rejected] [API] API functions accept arrays as arguments

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] [API] API functions accept arrays as arguments

Post by callumacrae »

includes/acp/acp_users.php, line 287:

Code: Select all

$result = user_ban(substr($action, 3), $ban, 0, 0, 0, $ban_reason, $ban_give_reason);
viewtopic.php, line 1096:

get_user_rank($row['user_rank'], false, $user_cache[$poster_id]['rank_title'], $user_cache[$poster_id]['rank_image'], $user_cache[$poster_id]['rank_image_src']);
includes/mcp/mcp_forum.php, line 92:

make_jumpbox($url . "&i=$id&action=$action&mode=$mode" . (($merge_select) ? $selected_ids : ''), $forum_id, false, 'm_', true);
includes/mcp/mcp_front.php, line 329:

make_jumpbox(append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}mcp.$phpEx", 'i=main&mode=forum_view'), 0, false, 'm_', true);
includes/functions.php, line 1083:

$zone_trunc = truncate_string($zone, 50, 255, false, '...');
Could you tell me what any of them do without consulting the documentation? You don't have to look far to find code like this.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

callumacrae wrote: Could you tell me what any of them do without consulting the documentation?
Yes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Get an IDE that reads these for you. They should be replaced with proper object oriented code anyway, which suffers less from this problem. I'm sorry but these are really not a reason to throw PHP's function parameter feature out the window. By doing this you lose any IDE support, you lose any possibility to automatically detect errors in passed parameters. You lost proper documentation, you lose built in type hinting. It's a bad idea, we won't be doing this.