[RFC|Rejected] New topic button on viewtopic

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
jsebean

Re: [RFC] New topic button on viewtopic

Post by jsebean »

It's a -1 from me as well. It's really not that hard to add the button in if you really want it, someone could make a really simple mod for this if they wanted, but would be confusing. You'd be surprised how many people use the post reply button rather than Quick reply from what I've seen on board I ran in the past.

@drathbun As for "lots of new topics", That really depends on the size of the board. I would expect a board the size of phpBB.com would get a lot more than a board with, say, 1000 members.
-Jonah

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Most people now use quick reply which would make this less of a problem.
When QR is enabled, perhaps, but not all forums allow use of QR, and I'm sure not all members default to using QR when enabled.

Anyway, I don't see this as a needed change, but I suppose I could live with it if enough people think it is that important to add back.

We could always add a new ACP setting. :twisted:
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

jsebean wrote:@drathbun As for "lots of new topics", That really depends on the size of the board. I would expect a board the size of phpBB.com would get a lot more than a board with, say, 1000 members.
Absolutely. But as an example, I run a board using phpBB2 still that has the New Topic and Post Reply buttons both, been running for 10 years and have almost 800K posts. I don't remember more than a dozen or so new topic mistakes. I don't really think it happens that often. Back when phpbb.com was running v2 and I was on the moderator team, I don't remember that many mistakes there either.

Just because I don't remember them doesn't mean they didn't happen though.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

phpBB 3's subsilver2 style does have both buttons. I wasn't sure so I checked it and it sure does.
Still, this is a -1 from me, I think the additional button is just clutter and think it's easy enough to navigate to the forum you want to make a new topic in and make the topic, can't get any simpler than that. And after all, it's really not that hard to put in if someone really wanted it in a phpBB 3 board, a simple style edit is all that's needed.
-Jonah

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:We could always add a new ACP setting. :twisted:
Well, if I'm honest thats not such a bad idea. A small option in Posting Settings or Board Features.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:A small option
As opposed to...?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

imkingdavid wrote:This was present in phpBB 2.0, if I recall correctly. The reason this was removed, as I understand it, was that there were a significant number of times when people would accidentally click New Topic instead of Post Reply, when trying to post a reply.
This - as I said on the PR it's a -1 from me. We gave it a lot of thought at the time and I don't really see why that thinking would've changed significantly. As for an option, no thank you, it'll just get lost in the sea of (much more important) options.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:A small option
As opposed to...?
As opposed to a massive option in red, bold and underlined. :lol:

I just meant it as a figure of speech.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

-1 for that, maybe thats an easy extension when we place a hook near the button
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

-1 as well for the reasons above. You're welcome to create an extension for this.