[RFC|Rejected] New topic button on viewtopic

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
mvader

[RFC|Rejected] New topic button on viewtopic

Post by mvader »

I've been asked here to open a RFC to discuss if a new topic button should be added on viewtopic page.

My point is, in many cases you're on a topic and you need to quickly create another topic for some reason. In that case you will have to go to the viewforum page again and then click the new topic button. If this button is added on the viewtopic page, you will only have to click and create your new topic.

Personally, is a modification I always make when I install phpBB, so I think if it's useful for me, maybe it's useful for so many other phpBB forum owners and users.

Meis2M Online

Re: [RFC] New topic button on viewtopic

Post by Meis2M »

means in prosilver style?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

This was present in phpBB 2.0, if I recall correctly. The reason this was removed, as I understand it, was that there were a significant number of times when people would accidentally click New Topic instead of Post Reply, when trying to post a reply. This resulted in lots of extra topics that were meant as replies to other topics but were improperly posted. I even remember doing that once or twice when I was still new to the interface and was posting faster than I was thinking.

So, for me, this is a -1. It was removed for a reason that I still find valid. In my opinion, if you wish to implement this on your own board, you are welcome to, but it should remain out of the core.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

A button no. Maybe a link so it's not as easy to confuse them. Otherwise -1 for the reasons ikd stated.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

I support +1

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

I agree with imkingdavid, -1.

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

imkingdavid wrote:This was present in phpBB 2.0, if I recall correctly. The reason this was removed, as I understand it, was that there were a significant number of times when people would accidentally click New Topic instead of Post Reply, when trying to post a reply. This resulted in lots of extra topics that were meant as replies to other topics but were improperly posted. I even remember doing that once or twice when I was still new to the interface and was posting faster than I was thinking.

So, for me, this is a -1. It was removed for a reason that I still find valid. In my opinion, if you wish to implement this on your own board, you are welcome to, but it should remain out of the core.
I agree completely, -1.
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

DavidIQ wrote:A button no. Maybe a link so it's not as easy to confuse them. Otherwise -1 for the reasons ikd stated.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

imkingdavid wrote:This was present in phpBB 2.0, if I recall correctly.
Yes, that is correct.
The reason this was removed, as I understand it, was that there were a significant number of times when people would accidentally click New Topic instead of Post Reply, when trying to post a reply. This resulted in lots of extra topics that were meant as replies to other topics but were improperly posted.
This does happen. But I don't know if I would quantify it as "lots of extra topics." And there is always the merge topic option if this does happen.
So, for me, this is a -1. It was removed for a reason that I still find valid.
I guess the question is, how often do you want to start a new topic while viewing an existing one, versus how many "mistakes" are made where new topics are created instead of a reply? I don't know that the number of instances of either issue warrant a change, based on my experience as both a board owner and as a user.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Most people now use quick reply which would make this less of a problem.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.