[RFC|Rejected] Show locked topics below open topics option

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Show locked topics below open topics option

Post by MichaelC »

Pony99CA wrote:But, again, I prefer a filtering option over a sorting option. And, either way, I would prefer a user option over a forum-by-forum Admin option.
Per forum as for some forums it is helpful, but not in some other forums.

As an example when its enabled which answers quite a few questions (like how announcements/stickies are treated):
O Announcement LP: 22nd Jan
O Announcement LP: 21st Jan
L Announcement LP: 25th Jan
L Announcement LP: 20th Jan

O Sticky LP: 15th Feb
O Sticky LP: 14th Feb
O Sticky LP: 12th Feb
L Sticky LP: 24th Feb
L Sticky LP: 10th Feb

O Topic LP: 15th Feb
O Topic LP: 14th Feb
O Topic LP: 13th Feb
L Topic LP: 16th Feb
L Topic LP: 16th Feb
L Topic LP: 15th Feb
L Topic LP: 1st Feb

NB: L = Locked O = Open/Unlocked LP = Last Posted in
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I still think, something like that is the perfect thing an extension can do, and as you see in this topic the wished implementation differs quite a bit, one more reason for an extension.

Request an event on the required places (acp forum is already done, so mostly viewforum.php is missing)
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA brings up a good point. Lots of times, stickied and announced topics are locked to prevent users from posting in them, but the fact that they are sticky-ed means that they need to be seen. Burying them at the end of the forum list would not be an option. EDIT: Somehow I missed the last page when I posted this; it seems you addressed this point.

And a filter may be better; the ability to filter out locked topics or filter out read topics (so only unread appear), etc. would be a neat idea.

Anyway, I personally don't think this really needs to go into the core. But I guess if people want it, we could do something.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:But, again, I prefer a filtering option over a sorting option. And, either way, I would prefer a user option over a forum-by-forum Admin option.
Per forum as for some forums it is helpful, but not in some other forums.
I understand that, but why is moving locked posts to the bottom better than just filtering them from the view?

As for user vs. admin options, regardless of whether you use filtering or sorting, why let the admin choose where this might be useful? Shouldn't the user be able to choose which forums he doesn't want to see locked topics in? Making this an admin choice would be like taking the post sorting options out of the UCP and from the bottom of the topic list and making them forum-specific ACP options.

And thanks for the example. That's basically what I thought.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:And a filter may be better; the ability to filter out locked topics or filter out read topics (so only unread appear), etc. would be a neat idea.
Yes, filtering out unread posts would be cool, too. While there's a View urnread posts link on the Board Index, that shows posts from all forums. On a car site, for example, I may only care about the Ferrari forum posts, not the Yugo forum posts. :D

But that's probably a different RFC (unless you want to combine them into a general filtering/sorting RFC).

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think filters (adding a selection of them) are probably beyond this RFC.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:I think filters (adding a selection of them) are probably beyond this RFC.
Perhaps. If you think that filtering here is a good idea, you might want to generalize the concept. For example, right now we have View unanswered posts, View unread posts, View new posts and View active topics just on the Board Index page plus View your posts on most forum pages (along with View new posts again :?). Those could all be filters that you might want to apply in addition to viewing unlocked or locked topics.

If you're going to add one filter, let's consider the feature as a whole. That's obviously not in the scope of this specific suggestion, but if we agree that generalizing the concept is a good idea, we could change the suggestion. :D

Steve

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

From what I'm seeing here if I lock a topic without replying it would immediately go to the very tail of topic list. This is probably too extreme.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I just realized something today. Aren't these RFCs supposed to be discussed and receive enough support before a ticket is created in the tracker? A ticket for this was created right when the topic was created. What's the point of that? :-?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:I just realized something today. Aren't these RFCs supposed to be discussed and receive enough support before a ticket is created in the tracker? A ticket for this was created right when the topic was created. What's the point of that? :-?
And as far as I know the ticket can be created whenever, if the RFC is rejected the ticket will just be closed?