[RFC|Rejected] Show locked topics below open topics option

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC|Rejected] Show locked topics below open topics option

Post by MichaelC »

At the moment if you lock a topic it stays where it is in the forumlist order. However quite often this is accompanied by a reply; meaning you get locked topics pushed to the top of forumlist.

This would be a per-forum option and would display the locked topics after the unlocked topics.

I'll do a patch for it.

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10960
Last edited by nickvergessen on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Ticket
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Show locked topics below open topics option

Post by nickvergessen »

I don't really see much sense on adding this to the core? => Extension?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Originally this was going to be added to http://www.phpbb.com but it was requested by quite a few team members to be done as a patch for the core instead; hence the RFC to decide if it will go into the core.

It will be helpful for a number of boards and is fully disable-able.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This was very specific to our needs and I don't recall many others outside the team asking for this. I didn't really like the idea on .com and I like the idea less as part of the core.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I could go either way, but I'm leaning toward extension instead of core. It really isn't a necessary change to include for every forum, I don't think.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

I agree. If users want it, leave it as an extension.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

I would like to see this in core

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:At the moment if you lock a topic it stays where it is in the forumlist order. However quite often this is accompanied by a reply; meaning you get locked topics pushed to the top of forumlist.

This would be a per-forum option and would display the locked topics after the unlocked topics.
So in the Support forum, for example, which currently has 2501 pages of topics, even topics with much discussion that were locked by a moderator would be pushed all the way to the end of all of those pages?

And what if somebody with the power to post in locked topics replied (or unlocked the topic, replied and locked it again)? Would that get buried, too?

If so, I'm not sure that I like this suggestion.

Instead, how about a Display locked topics option to show/hide locked topics in the UCP and/or in the Display topics from previous area at the bottom of the forum page? The default would be to show them for backward compatibiity. That puts the user in control, not the Admin.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Well if we are going to have an option in UCP then I would make it so that it read something like "Show locked topic at end of topic list?" or something like that.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

*Daniel wrote:Well if we are going to have an option in UCP then I would make it so that it read something like "Show locked topic at end of topic list?" or something like that.
My suggestion would filter them (they wouldn't show up at all), not move them to the end of the forum. With the filter off, they'd be displayed using the same rules as today (sorted by the UCP criteria currently in effect).

Another thing to consider for the original proposal. Where would locked Announcements and Sticky topics get sorted? I presume that locked announcements would be at the bottom of the Announcements section, not the bottom of the forum, and that locked Sticky topics would be at the bottom of the Sticky section.

But, again, I prefer a filtering option over a sorting option. And, either way, I would prefer a user option over a forum-by-forum Admin option.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.