[RFC|Rejected] Revert all of ajax in 3.1

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Revert all of ajax in 3.1

Post by Oleg »

igorw wrote:the docs in the wiki.
These are quite good, I must not have read the last iteration of them. They seem to not cover everything that was originally pull requested, but the operations that they do cover and what currently actually works seems to be more or less the same set, which happens to be sufficiently well defined in my opinion.

Therefore a complete revert is unnecessary.

To answer the other questions, it was not any one thing but a combination of incomprehensible code written to no spec and with no documentation (which was my opinion at the time, proven incorrect). As there in fact is a reasonable spec and documentation the code can be fixed.

As to why revert ajax but not the entire phpbb codebase, the value ajax provides as currently implemented (very little) was outweighed by the pain of having to constantly deal with it when writing new javascript code (ongoing).

I filed http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10955 to start on improving the code. This was one of the points I raised in the original PR.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Do we want tickets for every nuance about Ajax or have something that encompasses all? I keep approving posts on here, for instance, and clicking on the Yes button works but the way the "action completed" modal works seems to be a bit out of place. Clicking on "Return to post" refreshes the whole page when the modal should just close and take me to the post.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Separate issues should get separate tickets, same as always.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:I filed http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10955 to start on improving the code. This was one of the points I raised in the original PR.
And it was one of the points that was addressed.

Code: Select all

phpbb.ajaxify = function(options) {
An I missing something here?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:Do we want tickets for every nuance about Ajax or have something that encompasses all? I keep approving posts on here, for instance, and clicking on the Yes button works but the way the "action completed" modal works seems to be a bit out of place. Clicking on "Return to post" refreshes the whole page when the modal should just close and take me to the post.
Would be done in viewtopic.php?f=108&t=43067 (turned into a flash message).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Alright so since I think we all agree a revert is unecessary, and problems will be fixed with the respective tickets and new RFCs I'll move this RFC to the rejected forum.