[RFC] Email to Moderators on Arrival of New Messages in the Queue

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Email to Moderators on Arrival of New Messages in the Queue

Post by Senky »

It is but just understand - not anyone stands for your request. A lot of users are so angry to see email about all new replies in ther inbox, that they are more likely to turn all email notifications off!

userwhoforums

Post by userwhoforums »

In this topic thread, we are talking about an OPTION for MODERATORS to receive email notices on messages waiting in the Moderation Queue..... IF they want them.

( This has nothing to do with users receiving emails. And if users turn off email notification, fine. Nothing wrong with that.... as long as they CAN turn them off, it's all good. But that's a different topic altogether. )

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Ah I am really sorry, I have mistaken and replied to different topic. Sorry once again.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You're question has been asked and answered already. Google groups is not a forum, it is a message board and is completely different than google groups and comparing the two is like comparing and apple to an orange.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

userwhoforums

Post by userwhoforums »

That's not the point, and that's not the question.

The vast majority of pbpBB installations need this feature. The vast majority of installations are low-volume boards, and they need this feature.

Moderators should have the option of receiving alerts via email to inform them that there are messages waiting for approval in the Moderation Queue.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Whether or not phpBB the forum needs or does not need the implementation is not my point. My point is you can not compare phpBB the forum software to google groups the message board software.

Provide more fodder to prove your point other than comparing an orange to an apple.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I do not disagree that this would be helpful for some and could be added in an "off by default" basis, so that those with smaller boards that do not get constant activity can use it, while larger boards that would have constantly active moderators and would otherwise be overloaded with emails because of this can turn it off.

This is in the RFC forum, but does not contain a clear cut description of how it would be implemented. I will tack the [RFC] prefix onto the front of this, and if someone could come up with a implementation plan (i.e. what behavior needs to be added, what sort of options to add and where, etc.) we can get some more discussion going and potentially move forward with this once the more pressing patches are finished.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Whether or not phpBB the forum needs or does not need the implementation is not my point. My point is you can not compare phpBB the forum software to google groups the message board software.

Provide more fodder to prove your point other than comparing an orange to an apple.
I can compare apples to oranges quite handily -- I like them both but generally prefer oranges. In fact, I challenge anybody to name any two things that I can't compare. Watch me compare cars and dogs -- I'd rather drive a car and pet a dog than vice versa. What's the problem? :D

Seriously, I'm not sure that his question was answered -- what's the difference between a "message board" and a "bulletin board"? You post messages in both, people write replies in both, etc. Yes, Google Groups may be Web-based Usenet newsgroups, but are they really that different (from a user interaction point of view)? Reiterating that they're different without explaining why isn't going to help.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

userwhoforums wrote:Of course, every other forum / mailing list system works this way. Google Groups is one example. In fact, the email alert contains the Contents of the message waiting for approval, along with a direct link to the moderation queue.
So far, I agree. There should be a better notification system, a UCP control (and probably a permission) for at least some groups of users (like moderators) to be notified of every post (not just the first post since your last visit) and the option to include that post's contents in the E-mail (albeit without BBCode formatting). Those would make moderating forums much easier and quicker.

However....
userwhoforums wrote:But... You can simply click REPLY, sending a blank reply to that special email address that the alert came from, and you have just Approved that message instantly... without even visiting the site!
This is where you'll lose points. E-mail is not secure (it can be intercepted and spoofed) and imagine what would happen if that "special" E-mail address became public and people could approve their own posts. I haven't used mailing lists in a while (if ever), but I don't recall how (or if) they were moderated.

People have asked for ways to post in forums by E-mail for years and that requirement hasn't been (and probably never will be) implemented. Moderating by E-mail is a similar request. At best, this should be a MOD or extension.

Remember, people visit Web sites, they don't interact with them via E-mail. If you want a mailing list, you should get a mailing list and not try to turn phpBB into one.

That's my opinion. :D

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote: This is in the RFC forum, but does not contain a clear cut description of how it would be implemented. I will tack the [RFC] prefix onto the front of this, and if someone could come up with a implementation plan (i.e. what behavior needs to be added, what sort of options to add and where, etc.) we can get some more discussion going and potentially move forward with this once the more pressing patches are finished.
Would it meet the requirements that, when a user posted and that post was put in moderation, the subscription system was triggered and E-mail sent only to moderators of that forum who were subscribed to that forum? (You would not check the notification status, so that the moderators would get notified of all posts that went to the queue; you might choose to reset the notification status, though, so unmoderated posts would not also trigger a notification.)

To make it clear that this was a moderation notification, you might have to add a new E-mail template, but even without that, this may be useful.

Steve