[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
FeyFre

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Removal of subsilver2

Post by FeyFre »

Marshalrusty wrote:Wait, did you just disagree without bothering to figure out what you disagreed with?
naderman wrote:Seriously? You can't even be bothered to read the posts in this forum? You don't know what the question is but your answer is "NO"? If you don't want to participate in forming compromises just go elsewhere, this community really doesn't need people who make statements like that.
Explaining:
I have reread whole topic again and again. I even tried to participate(but had not much time to prove my opinion). I have carefully weighed each statement which I could classify as "alternative solution" and no one satisfied me. Since I could miss something and did not know which one solution you meant, I did not have right to say my "final NO", so I said "probably NO" instead(catch the difference?). Because I do not think this discussion is over. I do know even not most of "alternative solutions" was proposed(and some of them will never be proposed, including those I can consider as acceptable). Yes, I have my own compromising proposition, but I do know it is highly unacceptable by Team and Community, because it is really Unacceptable. I do understand I probably can change my mind in the future also.

So conclusion of my opinion:
Since I cannot accept neither "removal of ss2" nor existing "alternative solution" AND neither I nor any particular person cannot influence decision made by PHPBB Team, I decided to abandon this discussion for a while with my last words "I'm, as a user vulgāris, do not like how this question tends to be solved."(This is what meant my expression "Never mind. The answer will probably NO.")

Phil

Post by Phil »

So perhaps instead of telling us how unacceptable everything is, you should use the opportunity a discussion topic provides you with and actually state what would be an acceptable solution? I do not see how supporting subsilver2 (yet not including it in the standard download package) would be particularly unacceptable for the vast majority of users.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

I think the latest deprecation schedule proposed for Subsilver2 by rxu is an acceptable means of phasing out Subsilver2.
Has an irascible disposition.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I like it as well. Gives users more than enough time to plan for a replacement.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

DavidIQ wrote:I like it as well. Gives users more than enough time to plan for a replacement.
+1 I think it's a good idea...
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

The proposed solution (rxu's suggestion) works for me too. Although I'm personally using subsilver2 on one of my boards, I fully respect what the majority wants and whatever is decided in this topic.

I'd suggest to keep subsilver2 in the repository because that is much easier to handle as a developer (nothing changes). I haven't merged develop-olympus into develop recently because I think the removal of the subsilver2 folder should be reverted first in light of this discussion, so subsilver2 changes to develop-olympus can be properly merged into develop.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Alright so consensus in this topic appears to be that if we continue support for subsilver2, continue to maintain it in the main repository and make sure updates work fine, we can drop it from the standard installation package. So I've created a ticket for restoring subsilver2: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9783

4seven
I've been banned

Post by 4seven »

I totally agree with the end of this un-loved style. i don't support subsilver2 in following mods at all.
also i begin to program any new, and transform "old" mods to the hook system.
no one should close the eyes to the new way phpBB goes.

igorw

Post by igorw »

4seven wrote:I totally agree with the end of this un-loved style. i don't support subsilver2 in following mods at all.
Did you read the post just above yours? subsilver2 is being restored, it's coming back.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

eviL3 wrote:
4seven wrote:I totally agree with the end of this un-loved style. i don't support subsilver2 in following mods at all.
Did you read the post just above yours? subsilver2 is being restored, it's coming back.
Infact, it's already back in the repository.