[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Oleg

Re: subsilver2

Post by Oleg »

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think its time to stop using subsilver. Its a nightmare to keep editing, most MOD Authors don't support it anymore and even less people still develop subsilver styles.

So I say in 3.1 let it die.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

I would say.. offer it to some styling author who would like to support it / further develop it.

Meaning drop subSilver2 from being offical phpBB style and find some style author who would like to continue the support etc.. It's a same if it would drop off this world because as mentioned some ppl still use it.. and I bet loads of effort has gone into it, which would be a shame to make that useless..

I think loads of ppl would like to continu it if you announce it (looking for a new author of the style)
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Well, the chances are if phpBB.com drop it, a big subsilver developer would probably fork it for further develop it meaning it would still be available. Just not auto-installed and not one of phpbb's official styles.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

House

Post by House »

I say let it die. Barely any MOD Author's support it, and there are very few sites that use it/style based off of it.

code reader

Post by code reader »

House wrote:I say let it die. Barely any MOD Author's support it, and there are very few sites that use it/style based off of it.
you may be right and you may be wrong, but it will help if you tell us, how do you know?
specifically, how do you know how many sites use it?
is there any statistics, or you mean, from the 10 sites you use to frequent only two use it?
(and do you have some stats of how many mods that touch style *do* support it vs. how many that touch style don't? such statistics *is* obtainable, but it requires some work to actually count and come up with numbers, rather than just throwing "Barely any MOD support it")

BSing on internet forums is a time-old tradition, and i respect it, but in this case i don't find it very helpful.
of course, if i am wrong and you really *do* know some stats that may prove useful, please share them with us.

peace.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

code reader wrote:(and do you have some stats of how many mods that touch style *do* support it vs. how many that touch style don't?
This would be trivial to generate for someone with access to moddb.

code reader

Post by code reader »

nn- wrote:
code reader wrote:(and do you have some stats of how many mods that touch style *do* support it vs. how many that touch style don't?
This would be trivial to generate for someone with access to moddb.
so, do you volunteer?
talk is cheap. bear cost money... :)
i know *i* was not planning on embarking on such a project, so the fact it is *possible* (or even trivial, as you put it) is not very helpful until someone volunteers to actually *do* it.

peace.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Sure, if someone gives me access to all mods I'll write a script that crawls through them and figures out which percentage supports subsilver.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

According to my investigation subsilver is definitely supported by 48% of all mods in moddb and likely supported by another 2% of all mods, bringing the total likely support to half a mod short of exactly one half of all mods currently posted.