[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
code reader

Re: subsilver2

Post by code reader »

Thanks!
that *is* useful.

it does not mean, necessarily, that offing subsilver would be a bad thing, but it definitely shows that the claim "barely any mod supports it" is not precise.

peace.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

nn-, and how many that support 3.0.6, 3.0.7 or 3.0.7-PL1?

If you only included them in the survey it would probably shrink to something more like 25%.

As, when phpBB 3 came out, subsilver had been used before that and some people didn't change until more recently.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

The thing is, it isn't completely just about which MODs support ss2, is about people who enjoy using ss2-based styles on their sites. If ss2 is dropped in 3.1, people will have to convert ss2 into ps. I'm not too big a fan of ss2, but I think that for the sake of people who use it, it should at least be included (if not fully supported) in 3.1.

That or else make a big announcement to let people know that ss2 is being discontinued so all styles should switch to support ps.

BTW, is a new style being planned for 3.1 or is it just going to be an updated version of prosilver?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

stickerboy

Post by stickerboy »

If you include it, that technically implies it's supported, does it not? Why would we include something in your package (in a release for that matter), but refuse support on it? You either ship it and support it, or drop it and don't. Simple :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Unknown Bliss wrote:nn-, and how many that support 3.0.6, 3.0.7 or 3.0.7-PL1?
Among modifications targeting 3.0.[67], subsilver support is around 61%.
If you only included them in the survey it would probably shrink to something more like 25%.

As, when phpBB 3 came out, subsilver had been used before that and some people didn't change until more recently.
Some modifications add support for subsilver after their initial release (per changelogs), presumably due to demand.

Also, subsilver support may be contributed by someone other than original developer.

Software tends to grow features with time.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

TBH since we (phpBB) has the sent statistics button, I think they have the numbers on how many ppl are using subSilver2 or based upon styles...(and yes it's not a definite number but a good indicator..) (or am I wrong here... ) so the numbers should be much of a problem..
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Unfortunately we do not currently transmit a list of installed styles. I guess I should add that for 3.0.8.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Unfortunately we do not currently transmit a list of installed styles. I guess I should add that for 3.0.8.
I think that would be a good idea, having a list of installed styles as well as the most used style on that board, etc.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

code reader

Post by code reader »

naderman wrote:Unfortunately we do not currently transmit a list of installed styles. I guess I should add that for 3.0.8.
just curious: may i ask how many sites actually *use* the "send statistics" feature to report back? (and btw, i think it was a briliant idea to add it...).

peace.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

There have been a few more than 70.000 transmitted reports since we added it in 3.0.6. I'll try to throw together at least a few basic web accessible reports this week that everyone can look at. Right now it's only accessible through SQL queries ;-)