[RFC] Access logs of password protected forums

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
GiamPy

[RFC] Access logs of password protected forums

Post by GiamPy »

I think it would be great if administrators had new logs to see who has had access to password protected forums.

I would show it in the Administrator Control Panel with the following information.
  • user that attempted to access the forum,
  • date and time of the access attempt,
  • was the access attempt successful or failed,
  • forum that has been attempted to access.
This way administrators would now if a password was leaked or not.

jsebean

Re: [RFC] Access logs of password protected forums

Post by jsebean »

To be honest, I don't even see the purpose of password protected forums. Like you said, someone can leak the password. This just adds unnecessary data to the database, especially if a lot of people access the forum or if it gets accessed a lot.
-Jonah

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

I don't even know the purpose of password protected forums. We have permissions, right? (A LOT permissions. :D )
So instead of being concerned about a leaked password, just set the permissions correctly. No need for logs. ;)

As jsebean already said:
jsebean wrote:This just adds unnecessary data to the database, especially if a lot of people access the forum or if it gets accessed a lot.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Actually, it should be possible to log almost any major event in phpBB (entering a forum, reading a topic, posting to a topic, sending a PM, etc.), with an ACP page to turn on/off logging of those events.

I got some decent money for adding log in/log out logging to phpBB, but that should have already been a feature.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Like pany said, I think that it should be a completely new feature which implements a "real" logger with severity level, multiple channels and output support (like monolog per example) and, at the same time, uses it to log almost everything.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM