Resize avatars and/or images on the client and server side

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Resize avatars and/or images on the client and server side

Post by Marc »

There has already been some discussion on resizing avatars on this forum prior to this PR.
Actually, a ticket for this already exists on the tracker: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11207

What I'm proposing here is that in addition to the suggested changes in this ticket, we should already try to resize avatars and/or images before they are actually uploaded to the server. This will slightly increase the load users will have upon uploading those images while keeping a possible high load away from the server.

The way I'd to the resizing on the user side would be using canvas resizing.

KurtisC

Re: Resize avatars and/or images on the client and server side

Post by KurtisC »

How would there be a high load on the server? All it has to do is resize a very small image to a particular set size and it only has to do that if someone uploads an image and it's larger than what's set. In theory, it should only be an issue if people were changing their avatars constantly.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Unless there is something besides ImageMagick that won't make the images look funky, that would be the option to use server side, which has been known to cause server load issues in some cases. If that is offloaded to the client then that would be great.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

However it's done, I'd love to see this being implemented somehow and soon! :-) Way! overdue imo.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

KurtisC wrote:All it has to do is resize a very small image to a particular set size
Some illiterate users can upload their photos, weighing a few megabytes.
Sorry for my English.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Volksdevil wrote:However it's done, I'd love to see this being implemented somehow and soon! :-) Way! overdue imo.
+1

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

Sumanai wrote:
KurtisC wrote:All it has to do is resize a very small image to a particular set size
Some illiterate users can upload their photos, weighing a few megabytes.
Fair point. I'd be inclined to ask though how other forum solutions do it because there are systems in place on other boards? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're too big either in file-size or even resolution, then it's too much to compress and thus just outright rejects it with a message telling the user so? Users usually ask for help at this point on boards if they're that unsure and probably need a little guiding no matter how 'easy' you make it for them anyway.

swanny007

Post by swanny007 »

I would like to see the next release of phpBB have the ability to use ImageMagick server-side to downsize photos when they are uploaded.

We need to keep things simple for users, so having the server automatically resize it to no larger than say 800px wide or tall (set in the ACP) is a function that is severely lacking in phpBB. Most if not all other BBs have this capability now and it's really causing problems for users on my forums.

+1