[RFC] Group avatar handling

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
nbtc971

[RFC] Group avatar handling

Post by nbtc971 »

I would like to see a change to how group avatars are handled in relation to users personal avatars. This feature just recently bit me when I wanted to add group avatars without knowing, or being warned, that it would remove and replace users personal avatars. Here are the changes I would like to see implemented:

Easiest implementation: Add a warning when adding a group avatar that it will replace all users personal avatars giving the user the option to cancel.

Feature rich implementation: Allow board administrators the ability to give the user the option to use either their default group avatar or a personal avatar with the added ability to switch back and forth from group to personal avatar. Also, the administrator should have a setting to force group avatars if they so choose.

This would avoid the problem of administrators accidentally deleting, in my case, thousands of personal avatars and gives the user more choice for how they are displayed.

Volksdevil

Re: [RFC] Group avatar handling

Post by Volksdevil »

Can't 'Ranks' be used instead? I've never really bothered with them, but I've just set a Rank Image for Admin and it shows up under my Avatar which is still there.

nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 »

I believe ranks are a separate avatar and we are already using them.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I agree that there should at least be a warning about wiping out everybody's avatars. This should be done in phpBB 3.1 as I've seen this complaint before.

The feature-rich implementation also sounds reasonable, but that probably won't be in 3.1.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

AScott

Post by AScott »

nbtc971 wrote:I would like to see a change to how group avatars are handled in relation to users personal avatars. This feature just recently bit me when I wanted to add group avatars without knowing, or being warned, that it would remove and replace users personal avatars. Here are the changes I would like to see implemented:

Easiest implementation: Add a warning when adding a group avatar that it will replace all users personal avatars giving the user the option to cancel.

Feature rich implementation: Allow board administrators the ability to give the user the option to use either their default group avatar or a personal avatar with the added ability to switch back and forth from group to personal avatar. Also, the administrator should have a setting to force group avatars if they so choose.

This would avoid the problem of administrators accidentally deleting, in my case, thousands of personal avatars and gives the user more choice for how they are displayed.
Option One: Yes, there should be a warning.

Option Two: A good idea.
Volksdevil wrote:Can't 'Ranks' be used instead? I've never really bothered with them, but I've just set a Rank Image for Admin and it shows up under my Avatar which is still there.
This would not be applicable for forums that make use of ranks as they were intended, and wish to retain their original function.

Option Three: An extension that would treat the user avatar and the group avatar as separate entities, and allowing for a variety of placement options, i.e. User avatar above group avatar, and above rank, group Avatar above user name, group avatar below user rank, etc. This, I think, would be the better solution.

Option Four: Treat group avatar as a secondary rank function, separate from the current rank system. Possibly the easiest solution.