[RFC] Move display & sort options in footer to dropdown menu

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
PayBas

[RFC] Move display & sort options in footer to dropdown menu

Post by PayBas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Significantly reduces clutter (especially in the already overcrowded MCP). And takes waaaay less space in responsive mode.

Besides, I suspect hardly anyone uses it anyway.
1.png
(63.57 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
Ticket: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12649
PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2541

Discuss

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] Move display & sort options in footer to dropdown menu

Post by VSE » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 pm

I just want to bring up my concern over the implications of having drop downs within drop downs, as well as it seems like three drop menus have essentially been hidden behind another non-descript sort icon menu. This seems to me to have potential usability and accessibility issues.

Here's a bad photochop of an idea to make the sort options at least look nicer, without hiding them or stacking them inside of another drop menu. (Although ultimately, I am still fine with the original way it has always been too)
Attachments
img5.png
img5.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
Has an irascible disposition.

hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Post by hanakin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 pm

its not just a style change we need to change the entire implementation. and from a usability stand point as long as its labeled filter & sort then its perfectly clear what we are doing. You actually see this done all the time on mobile applications with nothing more than an icon and a slide-up menu

instead of a drop down for
All Posts
1 Day
7 Days
2 Weeks
1 Month
3 months
6 months
1 year

a drop down for
Authour
Post Time
Subject

and a drop down for
Ascending
Descending

change it to something like this

Days: [text-field:number]
[radio] author [radio] time [radio] subject
[checkbox]descending

no drop downs

PayBas

Post by PayBas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Can extensions already add their own sorting fields? Because that could lead to a lot of radios.

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:06 pm

hanakin wrote:You actually see this done all the time on mobile applications with nothing more than an icon and a slide-up menu
As you know, phpBB is not a mobile application. It's a desktop app first and foremost, and should not (yet) be designed with a mobile-first methodology.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:02 am

PayBas wrote:Significantly reduces clutter (especially in the already overcrowded MCP). And takes waaaay less space in responsive mode.

Besides, I suspect hardly anyone uses it anyway.
How about keeping it like it is now in desktop mode (possibly moving them, though) and changing it to your suggestion or VSE's suggestion in small-screen mode?

Steve

P.S. It would be helpful to label your screen captures. I presume the first two are "before" or "current" captures on large and small screens, respectively, and the latter two are "after" or "proposed" versions. Labeling them as such would make them easier to understand, especially when other alternatives are being presented. Basically don't make us guess what they are. :D
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 am

I want them out of the way too.

However, I don't like the proposed solution (see pull request). It is already too much to have mod tools next to the topics tools and the post reply...

VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by VSE » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:12 am

Pony99CA wrote:How about keeping it like it is now in desktop mode (possibly moving them, though) and changing it to your suggestion or VSE's suggestion in small-screen mode?
I like this idea!!!

hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Post by hanakin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:56 am

VSE wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:How about keeping it like it is now in desktop mode (possibly moving them, though) and changing it to your suggestion or VSE's suggestion in small-screen mode?
I like this idea!!!
kind of what I had in mind just condensing it on desktop and relation wise it should be grouped and styled like the paging rather than the forum actions ill have a mockup tonight

PayBas

Post by PayBas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 am

It's not that easy to hide these in responsive mode.

Most of our responsive scripts work by either (1) having 2 versions of the HTML elements on the page (hide/show based on responsive mode), or by (2) copying the content overflow to a another location (dropdown) on overflow detect and hiding (not removing) the in-line version. Method 2 will not really be suitable for this situation, since we don't want to introduce yet another 3-stripe/hamburger menu in-line in that location, and the sort/display button we propose shouldn't be in-line there as it would look incredibly weird in responsive mode.

That basically leaves option #1, which means there is HTML/DOM duplication going on. At the moment, all sort/display form elements are assigned an id. Duplicating these will invalidate the HTML. I tried removing the id="' . $name . '" from https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/dev ... nt.php#L99 and it seems to all still be working, but it would have to be tested more thoroughly.

I'd also prefer it if we could hide/show this using just CSS rules. Introducing yet another responsive JS script for this particular feature is not something I'm looking forward too.

p.s. Having to remove all id's from these form elements will also prevent us from using <label for="id">.

p.p.s. A way around the id duplication issue would be to completely remove the form in responsive mode, and create the DOM for the responsive menu. And conversely, destroying/creating the forms when resizing to make it bigger. This would get increasingly messy of course, since we can't just cut/paste the DOM from one place to another. We want different L_vars in responsive mode (compacter).

TL:DR: It's not as easy as it sounds.