[RFC] Define max-width for prosilver

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Define max-width for prosilver

Post by hanakin »

Crizzo wrote:
callumacrae wrote:Not being able to read text properly is not fancy behavior.
That is not the point. I just want to let the choice to the user. I can read long lines and i do. Some don't. So you think 170 long, so everyone should not have a line longer than 100, why? If i will, i should be able to. If not, i can reduce the width of my browser. But what i'm not able to, speaking as a non developer, increase the width and get my long lines again, if i want them.
I suggest doing some research on usability and user experience before chipping in on a debate on it: check out this article for starters.
I'm on t his topic for about 8 years. Tried many things: em width, small, big, columns, big size, good line-height etc.

But i'm on the conclusion, that i give the reader of my webpages the choice how long and wide the page is.

So don't be so arrogant if my opinion does not fit to yours. ;)
Actually "he" is not being arrogant he is attempting to informer you no matter what your opinion is why this is being discussed and the majority is in favor in that the print community has already done the research to come up with adequate standards based on several factors not just willingness to read. It also has to do with eye fatigue, aging, corrective lenses, etc.. the list goes on and one really since they have been doing this for several decades.

You your self have struct the nail on the head for one of the necessary changes that needs to happen the increase font-size. The problem is not just the max-width although that is one problem. I am sorry that your opinion does not seem to match but if you give it time and let change happen you might fine that when everything is said in done it might surprise you.

As to the user being able to adjust this. They can but if its all implemented properly then they wouldn't need to and probably shouldn't unless they really no what they are doing.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Personally, I'd like to see a couple of screenshots from large monitors as demonstration of the proposed max-width values. If there are any volunteers with large monitors of course... :P

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Fun with CSS linear background gradients :)
linearbg.png
(232.09 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Has an irascible disposition.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Louis7777 wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a couple of screenshots from large monitors as demonstration of the proposed max-width values. If there are any volunteers with large monitors of course... :P
Currently:

With a max-width of 960px:

Increasing font-size by 20%: (remember, different != wrong. Obviously it looks weird to you)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Crizzo wrote:So don't be so arrogant if my opinion does not fit to yours. ;)
My opinion is backed up by research and studies, to be fair.
My blog

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Well that about wraps it up with respect to the question whether or not this is a good idea (as if it needed to be any clearer ;)).

Last try.
lasttry2.png
(90.49 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

PayBas wrote:Well that about wraps it up with respect to the question whether or not this is a good idea (as if it needed to be any clearer ;)).

Last try.
lasttry2.png
I actually like this a lot
My blog

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Crizzo wrote:Or do you think most of the fullscreen-browser-user need the empty space to the left and right of the website for some paper-post-its? I don't think so.
I think yes. Better kind of neutral shading, than the desktop icon that will only distract. I unfold the entire screen does just that.
Sorry for my English.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

callumacrae wrote:
With a max-width of 960px:
tHRT89j.png

Increasing font-size by 20%: (remember, different != wrong. Obviously it looks weird to you)
wb0Q7nS.png
If that's 960px then the screen you used is not a very big one. I had large ones in mind (say 27 inches and up).

I'm not sure whether we should be concerned about them, but what do you think?

And should/could we do something special for them - e.g. would it be prudent to tamper with the initial scale so that they don't have to zoom in themselves?
PayBas wrote:Well that about wraps it up with respect to the question whether or not this is a good idea (as if it needed to be any clearer ;)).

Last try.
lasttry2.png
I'm fine with that as our default theme. Except maybe for the pink highlight color.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

callumacrae wrote:

Last try.
lasttry2.png
I actually like this a lot
Same here. About as perfect as can be. :)