Improve poll results

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
spello

Improve poll results

Post by spello »

What do you think about ability (new option while creating a poll) to hide results until the poll ends, and if the poll do not expire, until giving a vote ?

Hope it'd be useful not only for me. In some polls the results shouldn't be shown before voting or before the poll expire, for example because of contest poll etc.

Other improvement is about user permissions - define in PA whether a poll starter can see the results of his polls (showed right after poll).

Pony99CA

Re: Improve poll results

Post by Pony99CA »

There are a lot of improvements that could be made to polls, for example Show if topic has a poll (in topic lists). This wouldn't be bad, but it's not high on my list. I would prefer the linked improvement first, I think.

By the way, what is "PA" in "define in PA whether a poll starter..."?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

spello

Post by spello »

Sorry, I meant ACP. :P

I'm still of the opinion that additional checkbox giving ability to mark poll as with hidden results until sb vote or the time will be reached should be in the core.

advocatus

Post by advocatus »

With this in mind, I'm going to bump this thread.

I haven't been around that long (only even began thinking about this kind of stuff in September, didn't get involved here until ~November), but it seems to me as though polls haven't gotten any love in a while. Pardon me if that's not the case.

Regardless, they definitely need a functionality overhaul. Aesthetically, they look fantastic, but functionally they're lacking. There's nothing wrong with the way polls work or the feature set they have. But there definitely could... should, be more to offer. I can think back to a vBulletin board in 2007 that had votes shown publicly. Here we are, 8 years later, and phpBB still can't do that out of the box.

It's true that extensions are on their way to covering that ground, but shouldn't this be included in the core? I mean, visible voting is a feature that has been around, live, for a really long time. Frequently, I've seen the argument made against additions to the core that have said it introduces clutter and more settings to have to pour over and potentially confuse novice users. There's no such case here. Firstly, there doesn't need to be any additions made to the ACP simply because there's nothing to add; all the potential settings are decided by the poster in the thread creation. It doesn't add clutter to the thread creation screen, either, thanks to there already being a tab. It doesn't add clutter to the tab either, because there's a minimal amount of additional checkboxes added (and old modifications have done this extremely well).

The main feature I'm asking to be included in the core is visible votes. It's the most obvious and asked for feature addition for polls. However, a few other feature additions that come to mind can be made also: hide all votes until poll closes, hide vote visibility until poll closes. Previous modifications and current extensions in development have/are handling this extremely well and any additional features offered from them should also be taken into consideration.

---

As much as it pains me to say, with all that being said, I have zero technical know how in how the code powering the forums is developed. If I could provide contributions for this, I would in a heart beat. With that being said as well, if this post comes off as rude or offensive, that is not my intention whatsoever.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

What exactly is visible voting? Voting system seems visible to me... :?:

advocatus

Post by advocatus »

For example, this:

I voted 'Yes', but no one else viewing that is given any indication of who voted for what. What I'm saying is that the names of the users that voted for each option should be displayed under the percentage bar.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

vBulletin shows who voted for what? That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. What would one want to know who voted for what? To persuade to change their vote? Sounds unethical and I've never even heard of non-anonymous polls. All polls I've ever seen have been anonymous. I don't really see what would be so useful about removing the anonymous nature of polls...

advocatus

Post by advocatus »

It would really depend on the context of the poll (and that's why there'd be a check box (with minimal UI impact) to toggle it). In certain situations, of course there'd be pressure for people to vote one way or the other, but I see those as the exceptions, not the rule. The only type of polls I can think of that would cause legitimate problems is for polls that aren't a very good idea anyways, such as "Should X user be a moderator? Yes/No". The way I see it, it adds depth to the poll and creates more discussion.

And yeah, a forum I was on in 2007 had this feature. It may not have been vanilla (I honestly can't say) but at that point (2007) it had been around for years on that forum, too. Either way, the functionality has existed for a really, really long time and it doesn't really make sense (in my opinion) for phpBB to not have it included in core.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You are yet to present a reason to allow the removal of the anonymous nature of polls other than "someone else does it". What benefit is there in doing that?

advocatus

Post by advocatus »

advocatus wrote:The way I see it, it adds depth to the poll and creates more discussion.
This, basically. Are you looking for specific examples?