Improve poll results

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Improve poll results

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes. Like how does knowing who selected what in the poll add depth to the poll?

And the additional discussion I can see coming out of knowing who made what selection would be to say "why did you, of all people, make THAT selection?!!?". Not sure doing this would produce very meaningful or useful discussion, besides the badgering.

Pony99CA

Re: Improve poll results

Post by Pony99CA »

I don't care about "visible voting" (or, more properly, non-anonymous voting), but here are some real-world examples. You're at a meeting and people call for a vote by raising hands. You can see who voted for what. I believe that Congress is another -- their votes are public.

Why shouldn't the poll creator have the option to do that (possibly with an admin set of permissions to allow open voting or not globally or on a forum-by-forum basis)?

The biggest problem that I see is that if a poll gets thousands of votes, displaying the list of voters as suggested would be a bit much. Maybe you'd need a "Who Voted" page similar to the "Who Is Online" page instead.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.