[RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Master_Cylinder » Fri May 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Louis7777 wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Always keep mobile in mind...
And never neglect desktop users with large monitors either. :)
I don't want my forums crippled for mobile users either.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am
Location: Paris

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Nicofuma » Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Oups. Wrong window
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

User avatar
Darkness_demoN
Registered User
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Darkness_demoN » Sat May 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Am may be jquery or ajax script with arrow. If you wana see more to klick it ? Nad option how many forums wana see, or make order:
Last forum that have comment to be on 1-st place or order by name or order by number of posts and order by admin. If admin wana to show 4 of 10 subforums to choose wich one wana be that 4 and than when someone klick arrow or more button to see the rest :)

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by keith10456 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Always keep mobile in mind...
And never neglect desktop users with large monitors either. :)
I don't want my forums crippled for mobile users either.
Obviously, no, don't neglect large screen sizes... And obviously, no, don't cripple forums for mobile users.

My overall point is, soon, more people are going to browse the net via a mobile device than the desktop. This fact must be taken into consideration...

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Louis7777 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm

keith10456 wrote: My overall point is, soon, more people are going to browse the net via a mobile device than the desktop. This fact must be taken into consideration...
We should also take into consideration that Microsoft tried to favor tablet users with their Windows 8 OS and ultimately *beep* off desktop users. Such a UI fail. We shouldn't take anything away from desktop users just to make a better experience for mobile users.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by keith10456 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Louis7777 wrote:
keith10456 wrote: My overall point is, soon, more people are going to browse the net via a mobile device than the desktop. This fact must be taken into consideration...
We should also take into consideration that Microsoft tried to favor tablet users with their Windows 8 OS and ultimately *beep* off desktop users. Such a UI fail. We shouldn't take anything away from desktop users just to make a better experience for mobile users.
Again... I agree. I hate Windows 8. A mobile OS was forced onto desktop users. It was a complete failure!

However, that's NOT what I'm saying or proposing :idea:

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm

keith10456 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Always keep mobile in mind...
And never neglect desktop users with large monitors either. :)
I don't want my forums crippled for mobile users either.
Obviously, no, don't neglect large screen sizes... And obviously, no, don't cripple forums for mobile users.

My overall point is, soon, more people are going to browse the net via a mobile device than the desktop. This fact must be taken into consideration...
I disagree. Not with the fact that more mobile users will use small screens to browse but with the need to put mobile first. Mobiles are fine for light reading and composing but not for more complex editing requirements that many forums/topics have. Desktops will never go away and that's the better tool for forums. Twitter, yes. Forums, no.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by keith10456 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm failing to understand why you keep going on about something that had nothing to do with my point :?

User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by Master_Cylinder » Wed May 14, 2014 6:24 pm

The better question is why don't you understand that it did have something to do with your point? :roll:
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

User avatar
PayBas
Registered User
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Limit the subforums in legend to 1 level.

Post by PayBas » Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 pm

You guys are getting pretty off-topic (or at least are no longer being very productive ;)).

Since none of the developers (except DavidIQ) have weighed in yet, I'll try to wrap it up.
  1. Having a single child level is conceptually a better idea (why else would every other vendor do this), because it emphasizes the hierarchy much more clearly and can significantly reduce clutter...
  2. ... but some users like the current way of bunching them all together without any structure.
  3. So if we want to implement this, we will either need to implement it as:
    1. A global ACP setting which limits the depth of the children in the legend (or no limit at all)
    2. A setting that limits the level on a per-forum basis, configurable for each forum/category (or no limit at all)
    3. A UCP setting so that users can set it themselves
  4. We need to think about how this implementation will affect mobile browsers
  5. What would be the default setting? Single level, or all?

Post Reply