[RFC] Hide forum (f) variable from topic url

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Hide forum (f) variable from topic url

Post by DavidIQ »

Isn't the forum being determined internally for other features when it's not present? i.e. the breadcrumbs.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Well we create the parameter later on viewtopic, but when we create the session entry nothing has been done and we need the session/auth to do stuff
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

nickvergessen wrote:It's not only about showing "yourself", but it doesnt show "yourself" to anyone. So when we remove it from the URL, the feature becomes quite useless, as everyone does not show to anyone.
Ah, understood. So it's more of an issue than it first seems. It's not really my thing but, can it not be fixed via a query somewhere? Apologies if that sounds too 'Simple' but like I say, database stuff is way over my head.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

yes, 1 additional query on the most loaded page of phpbb for each page call, instead of adding simple 4 characters to some urls

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

nickvergessen wrote:It's not only about showing "yourself", but it doesnt show "yourself" to anyone. So when we remove it from the URL, the feature becomes quite useless, as everyone does not show to anyone.
Shouldn't this be considered a major bug?

Here's why I think that:

Some time ago we had the problem of duplicate links. Now that we point to canonical links that problem hopefully belongs to the past. However, Google will now serve the canonical links, which means that all visitors coming from search engines will have clicked on links without the f= parameter and as a result they will be all browsing as invisible.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Louis7777 wrote:Some time ago we had the problem of duplicate links. Now that we point to canonical links that problem hopefully belongs to the past. However, Google will now serve the canonical links, which means that all visitors coming from search engines will have clicked on links without the f= parameter and as a result they will be all browsing as invisible.
No, they will just be listed as browsing the board instead of a topic in this particular forum.
Also as soon as they use the pagination, they will be listed in the forum.

But yes, all this is a bug, so we use this easy workaround (adding f= to the url)

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Louis7777 wrote:However, Google will now serve the canonical links, which means that all visitors coming from search engines will have clicked on links without the f= parameter and as a result they will be all browsing as invisible.

Absence of the parameter f= in canonical link is a mistake, I believe.
Sorry for my English.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Sumanai wrote: Absence of the parameter f= in canonical link is a mistake, I believe.
And the reason is...?

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

Canonical version should be one the most common. Now most references on the forum with the parameter f =.
I think a mistake that all the links are with the parameter f =, and the canonical version without
Sorry for my English.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

well we use without f= so when the topic is moved, the canonical URL does not change.
Otherwise you get duplicate pages again, because the old links will still work