Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Alien_Time

Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Post by Alien_Time »

ATM the ip addresses are visible to Moderators too in MCP isn't it? I have installed a separate mod to hide IP address information for moderators in mcp and have it visible to admins only. Wouldn't be useful to have a permission setting in acp to choose if moderators can view ip addresses or if this info only available to site admins? I have a medium sized board and the moderators on my site only have basic moderators permission can editing and moving topics. If they want to ban or report a user they need to notify admin who in the end takes the final call. I don't want ip addresses to be visible for others and that's why I had installed this separate mod in the current version. For small and medium boards, wouldn't this setting in acp be helpful since I feel that the IP address has to be visible to the most important person only like the admin and have a separate configuration via ACP to choose if a moderator is allowed to see IP addresses.
Last edited by Alien_Time on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Cylinder

Re: Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Most moderators are allowed to ban and knowing the IPs can help. I doubt it'd be used on many boards.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I am not asking to disable ip for moderators alltogether. Just a configuration in the acp where admins can choose yes or no permission to show IP address details for moderators or not. So boards that allows moderators to ban etc can enable them and boards that wants to reserve that rights to only admins can disable the visibility of users IP address and still enable other permissions for moderators to do other tasks. As an admin I don't see why the moderators on my site needs to look into ip addresses, their ISPs, etc... That I only want to reserve it for administrators only. So a permission to enable or disable this will be handy.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

As an admin, I don't see why I'd need to hide an IP from my moderators. It helps them do their jobs...on most boards anyway.

I'm not against admins having more options I just don't think this setting would be used much so I'm not sure how needed it is. If the devs decide to add it, ok...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

It wouldn't be a setting. It would be a permission as there is already a MOD that does this very thing.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

yeah sorry.. I was actually referring to permission when I said setting in subject. The current mod that I am using atm doesnt add a permission in acp instead I need to edit that mcp block manually so these blocks are only visible to admins or users and groups with global permissions.

This is the link to the mod that is currently used in 3.0.x version: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... s_on_logs/

Mod description:
Some forum administrators like to restrict moderator access to private information of registered users, such as IP addresses. phpBB provides a useful permission setting for this, which is applied to information stored with posts and private messages. However, by default this permission setting does not apply to some sections of the Moderator Control Panel. This allows moderators to view IP addresses in log entries and user notes.

IP Permissions on Logs extends the functionality of the existing moderator permission for viewing post information. Once installed, IP addresses normally shown to anyone with Moderator Control Panel access will be restricted. Only users and groups with global permissions to view post information will be able to view these IP addresses.
My request is - Why cant we have this as a permission in core itself?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

It would be unobtrusive enough to have as a permission that is automatically granted to moderators and admins so current behavior is kept and those that want to (OP) can change it as needed.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

As an extension would be good, in my opinion. Less options in the ACP.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

DavidIQ wrote:It would be unobtrusive enough to have as a permission that is automatically granted to moderators and admins so current behavior is kept and those that want to (OP) can change it as needed.
I agree. That's what I was suggesting too. Have it under moderator permissions in acp and the default can be yes which is the current behaviour and then admins have an option to choose no or never if they don't want that group or user to not view these IP address info.
Last edited by Alien_Time on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielx64

Re: Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Post by Danielx64 »

I like that idea even though I dont use it