Automatically add list items in bbcode editor

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
JoshyPHP

Re: [RFC] Automatically add list items in bbcode editor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Arty wrote:Automatically add [*] when list is created: [liѕt][*][/list] and place cursor after [*]
I think that's a good idea, with a very high usefulness:cost ratio. It could include a second list items too, on a separate line.

For what it's worth, when you click the list button in SMF it adds the list tag plus two list items as such:

Code: Select all

[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

kasimi
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by kasimi »

Mess wrote:I usually create my list first and then add the
  • bbcode around it.
That's similar to how I do it. Here's what I'm thinking: If there is text selected in the message box when the user hits the list button, it could convert the selection into a list, one item for every new line.

Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
So when selecting these three lines inside the message box and hitting the list button, it converts the above into this:

[list][*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3[/list]

Mess

Post by Mess »

kasimi wrote:
Mess wrote:I usually create my list first and then add the
  • bbcode around it.
That's similar to how I do it. Here's what I'm thinking: If there is text selected in the message box when the user hits the list button, it could convert the selection into a list, one item for every new line.

Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
So when selecting these three lines inside the message box and hitting the list button, it converts the above into this:

[list][*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[*]Item 3[/list]
Thats actually similar to how its handled in MS Word and Nowell email clients.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

MichaelC wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:As long as this won't cause problems entering multiple-paragraph list items, I'm fine with it.
  • Paragraph 1
  • Paragarph 2

Paragraph 3
  • Paragraph 4

Paragraph 5
So maybe if [*] is generated and the user presses Enter immediately, the spurious [*] would be removed. It would also be nice if multiple-paragraph list items added a blank line before the next bullet to avoid Paragraph 3 being located closer to Paragraph 4 than to Paragraph 2.
Or just press delete three times?
Presuming the cursor would be placed after the [*], you'd have to hit Backspace three times. :D But why make the user do that? This RFC is about saving the user from typing extra characters.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.