User menu in the navbar

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Jessica.

Re: User menu in the navbar

Post by Jessica. »

Kamahl19 wrote:Alien_time's idea is nicer, but again, it does not fit into Prosilver design concept.

I dont want only criticize so I tried to create something too. I was inspired by both ideas above and I used design from Notification dropdown box. The only difference between Notifications dropdown and Profile dropdown is that Profile dropdown does not have a header (there is no need for it). I also moved user's stuff to right and FAQ and Memberlist to left, because left was too full and on most other systems, user's stuff is on right side (FB, Gmail, Google, Twitter, Linked.in ... ). What do you think?
Oh yes! I love this style dropdown. However...
wintstar wrote:I should think the FAQ and members on the right side remain and should stay left the notification and User menu. Design can be made at the end.
I agree with this. The FAQ and Members link should stay on the right and the Notification and menu on the left.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I like Kamahl19's concept, except that I would leave the links in their current postions, and in the dropdown I would prefer the UCP link to come first. Other than that, it looks great.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

What is the reason you want to leave Faq and Members on right? As Alien_time said, Notifications are a little bit lost on left, there is too much text so I dont even notice I have a notification. On right, there is a lot of unused space. If we move user links to right, it would be more logical, because all "board links" would be on left (Board index, Members, Faq). I am asking because I dont know if you have some good reason or you are just used to the old way.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

Because it is a distinguishing feature of phpBB 3.0. On the left side was always a link to the User Control Panel. phpBB shall remain solely and not other forums software are similar.
Greeting Stephan :-)

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

UCP on left is distinguishing feature of phpBB3.0? Seriously? :) Position of links is not even a feature, and definitely not distinguishing. Using MODs was distinguishing for phpBB3 and 3.1 has changed it, improved it. Why could not we change and improve that old school boring navbar from 2007 too? :)

If we had a dropdown for profile, we could also add an event there, so that MODs can easily add other user related links.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Alien_Time wrote:One more thing.... Is there a possibility to maybe add active topics here too?

And, I dont understand why phpbb doesnt have a default option to 'View your topics' similar to View your posts too. This might go well in that profile drop down. Perhaps I might need to create a separate a RFC for this.

Overall, I like how you fixed it up. So +1!
I'd say add a dropdown to the search link. If the link is clicked it goes to the advanced search else all the various search types, like search for own post/topics, etc would be in the dropdown.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

bonelifer wrote:I'd say add a dropdown to the search link. If the link is clicked it goes to the advanced search else all the various search types, like search for own post/topics, etc would be in the dropdown.
I think it might be useful to have a 'view your Topics' option inside the profile drop down itself that shows when hovering over the username, if Kamahl's idea was merged to the core.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Alien_Time wrote:
bonelifer wrote:I'd say add a dropdown to the search link. If the link is clicked it goes to the advanced search else all the various search types, like search for own post/topics, etc would be in the dropdown.
I think it might be useful to have a 'view your Topics' option inside the profile drop down itself that shows when hovering over the username, if Kamahl's idea was merged to the core.
The View your posts search could be in both the Profile drop-down and the Search drop-down. it fits in both and having multiple ways to do soemthing doesn't hurt.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Links should remain where they are simply due to UX expectations. If we were providing a brand new style, there would be a lot more leeway with where things could be positioned, but when you see prosilver you expect certain things to be in certain places. I do not support swapping the location of the Notifications/PMs/UCP links and the FAQ/Members links. Moving the logout link from the right into the username dropdown on the left does make sense, however, as that is an action associated with the user account and belongs with the username.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Mess

Post by Mess »

imkingdavid wrote:Links should remain where they are simply due to UX expectations. If we were providing a brand new style, there would be a lot more leeway with where things could be positioned, but when you see prosilver you expect certain things to be in certain places. I do not support swapping the location of the Notifications/PMs/UCP links and the FAQ/Members links. Moving the logout link from the right into the username dropdown on the left does make sense, however, as that is an action associated with the user account and belongs with the username.
+1