User menu in the navbar

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
NORDLANDVOLK

Re: User menu in the navbar

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

wintstar wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:.... A dropdown menu similar to the notifications one should suffice. ...
I'm not a professional, I did not manage better. But it should be like the Notifications.
Modal box is look good but i prefer dropdown like notification,and i love the idea to use user name.
btw nice work.
sorry for my bad english :oops:

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Hi Everyone, I have been working out on how we can implement all of these and I think I may have a solution. Please do tell me if you like this idea and if you like to see this in prosilver Core. Bascially, I feel that alot of links in the Navbar needs to be tidied up. This is what I have come up with:
NavBar_Suggestion.jpg
(222.6 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
These are the changes I suggest:

1) Introduce a "Username" in the Navbar before notification, PM, etc..

2) When we hover over this Username, I would like to see a drop down similar to notification that lists the following Options:

a) Signed in as: Username (optional)
b) Profile
c) User Control Panel
d) Sign Out

3) If the username is clicked directly without clicking on the lists in drop-down, then it takes you to the user profile page.

4) The following edits can be added to this drop down:

a) Show the user avatar before Profile link. If no avatar, show a default one.
b) Use a Wheel Icon for User Control Panel.
c) We can also add the existing logout icon for Sign out if needed.

5) The following other changes are done to the navbar:

a) Remove the User Control Panel link from Navbar since it now comes under the username drop down.
b) Remove the LogOut Link on the right side of the navbar since its no longer needed and it will be redundant.

6) Introduce View Active Topics Link: Now that we have removed other links from the navbar, this create more space to add additional links to the Navbar itself. Would LOVE IT if the View Active Topics is added to this Navbar. This is an important link I feel and so far the limitation has been the confined space. But after removing the other links in the above method, we may now be able to add active topics links in Navbar itself. Here is the RFC for this...

What do you all think?

Please note that the above image is just a sample and I havent used the correct colour theme and fonts. But you get the idea....

Can this be added to the core?

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

+++ 1

Precipitated me. I am pleased to see that my idea bears fruit. :)
Greeting Stephan :-)

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

This (abandoned) style always had the right idea:
screen1.png
(291.43 KiB) Downloaded 933 times
screen2.png
(284.28 KiB) Downloaded 933 times
Has an irascible disposition.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

http://wintstar.de/final-matterhorn-1-0-1/ and look at http://style.wintstar.de/styledemo/ for Matterhorn

matterhorn.png
Matterhorn 1.0.1
(424.93 KiB) Downloaded 930 times

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Alien_Time wrote:Hi Everyone, I have been working out on how we can implement all of these and I think I may have a solution. Please do tell me if you like this idea and if you like to see this in prosilver Core. Bascially, I feel that alot of links in the Navbar needs to be tidied up. This is what I have come up with:
NavBar_Suggestion.jpg

very +++++11111

i like this idea very much

and its can use this drop down menu for active topic,your post, new post and....

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

VSE+ wrote:This (abandoned) style always had the right idea:
Yeah... The idea in that abandoned style is good but I would still prefer to have the drop downs lists and other menus listed inside the prosilver's "navbar" iteself. With the other styles, I noticed that they have a simple navbar and have added a separate section above this navbar that has the navigational menus. The problem with that will be for sites that have other main navigational menus listed such as Home, Gallery, etc.. For example this area51 site that has the main navigational menus like Home, Tracker, Wiki, etc.. So its probably better to have these elements inside the prosilver navbar itself instead of having a another new navbar on top of that. What I might like to adapt from the other styles is the "Search" drop-down that lists View Your Posts, View Active Topics, etc.. if its too many links to list them separately in Navbar, then this might be a good option. But then again, for guest users, the links might be too less in this method since they wont be seeing the username, notification, PM, etc.. except this search drop down and therefore have plenty of room for them.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Alien_time's idea is nicer, but again, it does not fit into Prosilver design concept.

I dont want only criticize so I tried to create something too. I was inspired by both ideas above and I used design from Notification dropdown box. The only difference between Notifications dropdown and Profile dropdown is that Profile dropdown does not have a header (there is no need for it). I also moved user's stuff to right and FAQ and Memberlist to left, because left was too full and on most other systems, user's stuff is on right side (FB, Gmail, Google, Twitter, Linked.in ... ). What do you think?
Attachments
3.png
(45.07 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
2.png
(44.46 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
1.png
(39.11 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

I should think the FAQ and members on the right side remain and should stay left the notification and User menu. Design can be made at the end.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Kamahl19 wrote:Alien_time's idea is nicer, but again, it does not fit into Prosilver design concept.

I dont want only criticize so I tried to create something too. I was inspired by both ideas above and I used design from Notification dropdown box. The only difference between Notifications dropdown and Profile dropdown is that Profile dropdown does not have a header (there is no need for it). I also moved user's stuff to right and FAQ and Memberlist to left, because left was too full and on most other systems, user's stuff is on right side (FB, Gmail, Google, Twitter, Linked.in ... ). What do you think?
Hi Kamahl, I like your idea too! :) What I like in your idea is how you grouped View your post together with the profile drop down and how you used the same notification box style. It makes more sense there. Also the links in navbar looks a lot more tidy. Only thing I am not sure is whether to move them to the right or leave it to the left. I agree, most sites does have notification to the right. But I am just so used to always seeing it on the left with phpbb that this now looks different. Having said that, the more I look at it, I think I am beginning to like the idea of having it on the right. I also feel that the notification seems more visible on the right since I always miss it or dont notice when I do get new notifications.

One more thing.... Is there a possibility to maybe add active topics here too?

And, I dont understand why phpbb doesnt have a default option to 'View your topics' similar to View your posts too. This might go well in that profile drop down. Perhaps I might need to create a separate a RFC for this.

Overall, I like how you fixed it up. So +1!