User menu in the navbar

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
wintstar

User menu in the navbar

Post by wintstar »

Username instead User Control Panel. Please look at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjLVoX0Mals
Greeting Stephan :-)

Jessica.

Re: User menu in the navbar

Post by Jessica. »

That looks pretty neat...

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

It is really ugly and it does not fit into phpbb design concept. Moreover, I dont like the idea of that floating box.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

The video gave me an error when I tried to view it 5 minutes ago. Can't you explain the idea with words and screen shots?

Anyway, if you're suggesting replacing the "User Control Panel" text with the user's name and clicking the name goes to the UCP, Kamahl is correct. Clicking user names goes to the user's profile. Plus, there's already the Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader RFC open to discuss renaming the UCP.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

In the video, when he clicked on username, floating box showed. In that box there were links to go to UCP, MCP and ACP and some Announcements and Last activity or what.. It just did not have sense.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This should just be something a style author would implement on their style if it makes sense to do so. Not sure we want to do that in prosilver.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

I wouldn't say it's ugly but it doesn't fit into the phpbb concept. I think that links to user names should go to their user profile. You may be able to use this pop up feature for some thing else maybe.

However, I do feel that it will be good to include the username with a link to the user profile in the header navbar section before notifications. I have added this on my site and I find that to be useful. I got that idea from kamahl's SN mod site and I liked it.

So +1 for username in navbar but without the floating box.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

Kamahl19 wrote:It is really ugly and it does not fit into phpbb design concept. Moreover, I dont like the idea of that floating box.
The design should not be the main, you can do that just as the notification box in prosilver. Some forum systems the user name use at user menu, came to me this idea.
user-menu.png
idea user-name
(258.86 KiB) Downloaded 1250 times

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I like the idea of adding some sort of menu rather than trying to cram all of the links on one line. However, I agree with the others that the modal window is not really something that we should implement. A dropdown menu similar to the notifications one should suffice. However, I also don't like removing the ACP link from the footer. We can add it in a menu if we want, but it should remain in the footer. Probably the same thing with the MCP link, though that one's not as big of a deal to me. Anyway, the menu should also only contain links, not extra things like announcements & most recent posts.

I also like changing the UCP link to the username, if we're going to change it. At least, I like it better than any of the suggestions in the other topic (which I can't seem to find anymore :? ), such as Manage Account. It probably shouldn't be made red, though.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

imkingdavid wrote:.... A dropdown menu similar to the notifications one should suffice. ...
I'm not a professional, I did not manage better. But it should be like the Notifications.