[RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
aleha
Registered User
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 am

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by aleha » Sat May 31, 2014 8:00 pm

ACP link was added on the top of the page in 3.1. But it's also in the footer, so it's in two places.
It may take some time to get used to it being there, so maybe the footer link could be removed in 3.2.
It won't hurt me to see it removed in 3.1, but that wouldn't be my preference.

User avatar
M.Gaetan89
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm
Location: Divonne-les-Bains, France
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by M.Gaetan89 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:50 pm

You don't want to scroll to the bottom to go to the ACP, but what about scrolling to the top when you are at the bottom ? :-p
I think having two links doesn't hurt anyone.

User avatar
Jessica.
Registered User
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by Jessica. » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:19 am

hanakin wrote:
keith10456 wrote:@ hanakin - I like it. Except, there needs to be an option for the member to view their profile (take them to their profile page).

The name and avatar would link to the profile, the arrow could be the dropdown. although I still see no reason to go to your profile. If there is a reason to go to your own profile I would argue that whatever it is needs to be moved to a more logical place!

@ Louis7777 - The problem with "User Control Panel" is it's too long and it's confusing to the average website member in 2014.
Jessica. wrote:
Meis2M wrote:i like this idea... it can be into 3.1. and it's better ACP link remove from footer.
I disagree, I like the ACP link in the footer. Some people want it there so it should be kept there.
aleha wrote:I too, do like the ACP link in the footer.
can you provide an argument for why other than you prefer it there? Thats not a reason to prevent us from moving it to a more logical place. Its aglbal function and I do not wish to scroll to the bottom of a massive site inorder to click it. ;)
When I'm at the bottom of the page I don't need to go all the way up

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by Louis7777 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:26 am

Personally I always remove the links for MCP or ACP from the top.

I always have them both at the bottom.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by keith10456 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 am

hanakin wrote:
keith10456 wrote:@ hanakin - I like it. Except, there needs to be an option for the member to view their profile (take them to their profile page).
The name and avatar would link to the profile, the arrow could be the dropdown. although I still see no reason to go to your profile. If there is a reason to go to your own profile I would argue that whatever it is needs to be moved to a more logical place!
That would work as long as the arrow is easy to select on a mobile device. One argument for being able to easily view your profile is you (members) should always easily be able to see their profile as the public see it. I'll be remiss if I didn't mention the mods/ext that are added to the memberlist (profile page).

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:29 am

hanakin wrote:as for what to put their in the menu the term is "User Preferences" This encapsulates everything well.
Wow, you say that as if you're the expert on terminology. ;) I'm curious what "preferences" the Private Messages are, though. They're part of your account, but they aren't a "preference".
hanakin wrote:Then move the MCP and ACP links to this menu as well so you have

Username
> User Preferences
> Moderator Tools
> Admin Panel
Except for the "User Preferences", I like that. The control panels should all be near each other, not scattered across the page. (If some people want to keep the old ACP link at the bottom, I'm OK with that for backward compatibility, but that link should be deprecated and removed in 3.2 -- or we could place the "control menu" at the bottom, too, so it could be accessed from the top or bottom of the page.)
keith10456 wrote:One argument for being able to easily view your profile is you (members) should always easily be able to see their profile as the public see it.
I agree -- and it's already in phpBB 3.1. Click your avatar or username in the upper right corner of the page. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am
Location: Paris

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by Nicofuma » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:40 am

Pony99CA wrote:
hanakin wrote:Then move the MCP and ACP links to this menu as well so you have

Username
> User Preferences
> Moderator Tools
> Admin Panel
Except for the "User Preferences", I like that. The control panels should all be near each other, not scattered across the page. (If some people want to keep the old ACP link at the bottom, I'm OK with that for backward compatibility, but that link should be deprecated and removed in 3.2 -- or we could place the "control menu" at the bottom, too, so it could be accessed from the top or bottom of the page.)
As said on IRC, the MCP link is used too often to be hidden in a menu and if we do that all the moderators will kill us.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

User avatar
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by hanakin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 am

This topic should deprecated as its related to https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=45679 lets continue all disscussion in one topic. Maybe merge them into topic about overall header re-design.

Post Reply