[RFC] Remove Its currently.. and Last visit

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Remove Its currently.. and Last visit

Post by Pony99CA »

I'm honored. :lol:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

wintstar

Post by wintstar »

nickvergessen wrote:The idea of last visit is, so the user can detect if someone logged in for him :)
This can be checked in the User Control Panel under =>Edit "Remember Me" login keys<=
Greeting Stephan :-)

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I was writing it on mobile so I probably hit Enter twice. Is this really what we want to discuss here?

I created this RFC because I see so many people asking how to remove this line from their header. It does not serve its purpose because nobody knows what is its purpose (I did not know it after using phpBB for 7 years) and it is too simple to warn you about being hacked.

Take a look on Gmail or FB. They are much bigger sites, with really sensitive personal data. Therefor they take security much more serious then phpBB. Do you see this little line right under the Gmail or FB logo? I dont and if I would see it, I would not know what is it. However in Gmail footer, there is little line "Last activity was 2 minutes ago. View Details." I also see this in FB Privacy settings.

So I try it again. I suggest to remove this line from header where it really does not belong and move it to footer with link to UCP.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Just because gmail does it one way doesn't mean phpbb has to do it the same way, imho.

I think it makes more sense in the header, where people will be more likely to notice it rather than buried in the footer. It's not obtrusive and it serves a purpose even if you didn't know what it was.

YMMV...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I do use them periodically as well to check that my timezone settings are correct. I can't recall ever looking at the last visit line myself, but it may be useful to some.

I think in this case we might want to keep it and for people who want to remove it we can create a knowledge base article that people can be referred to.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Pony99CA wrote:... links to the UCP's Edit "Remember Me" login keys page, which shows where and when you logged in from (you did know about that, right?).
This is only the case, when you tick the "Remember Me" on login, which you certainly wouldn't, when stealing an account...
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

nickvergessen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:... links to the UCP's Edit "Remember Me" login keys page, which shows where and when you logged in from (you did know about that, right?).
This is only the case, when you tick the "Remember Me" on login, which you certainly wouldn't, when stealing an account...
Unless you were dumb enough to do so.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:
That explains the verbose name. :D

What if we logged all logins there, but only allowed deleting the Remember Me ones? Then you could rename the section View logins. (Maybe there should also be an ACP option to purge logins after a period of time, too.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pete77s

Post by Pete77s »

Haven't seen those lines on any of my boards since phpbb2.0.11 and I think it's enough to just remove em if one wants to.