[RFC] Jumpbox - showing only primary forums

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
theallzaz

[RFC] Jumpbox - showing only primary forums

Post by theallzaz »

If you have a board with more than 30 forums/categories, the jumpbox becomes useless (clicking on board index becomes simpler). So i was thinking and instead of simply removing the jumpbox, adding a option in acp to choose if the jumpbox show only the primary forums (limiting the jumpbox to categories and forums which are not in a category). If you have a small board simply let the default option and nothing will change, but for those who have large board, just change the option.

In this topic I found the solution, and it is very simple. I think it would be a simple and nice feature

I have added a modification to my board, and this is the result:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/153pn2t.jpg

I think for the first time i will use a jumpbox frequently, because now it is really fast and useful. This way if the user set in acp to show only the primary forums, the jumpbox will not show the categories, forums, sub-forums, sub-sub-forums, sub-sub-sub-forums etc.
Last edited by theallzaz on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Jumpbox - show only primary forums?

Post by brunoais »

This is too simple for an RFC.
I read this twice and I feel like there's information missing so that I can discuss/comment on it as an RFC.

theallzaz

Re: [RFC] Jumpbox - show only primary forums?

Post by theallzaz »

I agree that it is simple, but I don't think that just because it is simple this shouldn't be an RFC.

How many members use a jumpbox in a large forum? I believe that it becomes useless. So you do not think it would be simpler improve it rather than discard it? I think it is a nice idea :)

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Jumpbox - showing only primary forums

Post by brunoais »

OK, ok.
I still think this should be considered a discussion.
Anyway, I like the idea, I only question if this can be made easily or if it requires some extra DB queries. Anyway, this is something that does not change much, so caching it is a good idea.
Tl;dr +1.