Convert front-facing files to use the front controller

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
imkingdavid

Re: Convert front-facing files to use the front controller

Post by imkingdavid »

VSE+ wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:One dependency that must be sorted out prior to even beginning is the paths issue (in short, it's the difference between URLs that look like /app.php?controller=topic/1#p124 and URLs that look like /app.php/topic/1#p124 or (using URL rewriting) /topic/1#p124. If we do not sort this out first, we will be breaking URLs twice (when it eventually does get sorted out), which is not acceptable.
FYI: In its current state, the meta_refresh function fails to handle controller file URLS right now... because it likes to filter out any slashes that appear among the URL params... So for now, a url like /app.php?controller=topic/1#p124 can not be handled by the meta_refresh function. It would redirect you instead to /app.php?controller=topic. It may probably also fail to handle /app.php/topic/1#p124 formatted URLs too.
Alright, thanks. I'll look into it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

On the subject of slugs you should review the [RFC] Human Readable URLs topic.

Generally speaking +1 on the proposal, would certainly like to eliminate the duplicated code and multiple entry points we currently have.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

To update, I missed to GSoC deadline on accident :roll: so this will likely be pushed back in favor of getting 3.1 blockers fixed and getting the post revisions feature ready for potential inclusion in either 3.1 or 3.2, depending on timing.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Also, for anyone interested in helping out (since it is no longer specifically my project), I have started work on this on the following branch.
Branch
Comparison