Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Post Reply
theallzaz
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by theallzaz »

My board will soon have more than 50/100 forums inside. The problem is that when a moderator tries to move a topic, appears the list of forums that he must choose the location of the topic. The forums in which he is not allowed to moderate "are grayed out" (are disabled), so the moderator can't move the topic to the disabled forums, as shown below:

Image

I think the forums that are disabled (grayed out) simply should not appear in the list. The list of boards is so huge, I think it should appear only forums in which he is enabled to moderate. After all, there is no need to show that the forums are disabled, because he can not move beyond it. :)

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by EXreaction »

Moved to 3.x RFCs.

If the entire tree is disabled, then yes, I think that's a good idea, but if there are any children which are enabled, the path to that should be kept to keep a structure and prevent confusion.

hjpotter92
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by hjpotter92 »

Although removing them might be a good idea, but sometimes, it'll also help to see if some other board can also contain this topic. This'll help the super-moderators to move to those grayed out boards. The current moderator(the one with lesser powers) can ask the super-moderator(or global-mod) for the move.

As EXreaction also says, if the entire tree is disabled, then maybe it can be removed completely.

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by Pony99CA »

First, are Moderators allowed to move topics to forums where they are not moderators? (I haven't tried it, so I have no idea.) If so, that graying just shows that the Moderator can't moderate the topic after it is moved, which is useful.

Regardless, what about having a check box that says "Only show forums that I can moderate"? This would be subject to the issue raised abvoe where you can moderate a sub-forum but not its parent -- you should still show the parent(s) for context.

If you like the check box idea, it should be implemented in all places where a similar problem can occur.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

theallzaz
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by theallzaz »

Pony99CA wrote:First, are Moderators allowed to move topics to forums where they are not moderators? (I haven't tried it, so I have no idea.) If so, that graying just shows that the Moderator can't moderate the topic after it is moved, which is useful.

Regardless, what about having a check box that says "Only show forums that I can moderate"? This would be subject to the issue raised abvoe where you can moderate a sub-forum but not its parent -- you should still show the parent(s) for context.

If you like the check box idea, it should be implemented in all places where a similar problem can occur.

Steve
No, they can't move topics to the forums that they are not moderator. When the forum is gray, it means that they can't select that forum, so they can't move the topic to it. This is why i think they could be removed

About the check box i think it would be useless, because even if the forums appear or not, there is nothing you can do with them, because they are disabled
EXreaction wrote:Moved to 3.x RFCs.

If the entire tree is disabled, then yes, I think that's a good idea, but if there are any children which are enabled, the path to that should be kept to keep a structure and prevent confusion.
Agreed. This is the best way to go

User avatar
Jacob
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by Jacob »

I think they can. I'm using 3.10 but it can't have changed in 3.11. Otherwise the feature would be useless.

I suposse the "forums" grayed out are categories.

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Moving topics: narrow the drop-down list

Post by Pony99CA »

theallzaz wrote:About the check box i think it would be useless, because even if the forums appear or not, there is nothing you can do with them, because they are disabled
For small boards, I don't think that your suggestion is necessary (I won't say "useless", which seems unnecessarily pejorative). It's only on larger boards where it matters, and some moderators may still want to see the entire tree because that's what they're used to working with as a user, so making it a user preference makes sense.

Grayed items also make it obvious if there's a forum that I think that I should be able to move a topic to but for some reason don't have permission to do so (perhaps the Admin added a new sub-forum but forgot to give me permission to moderate there). If I don't see it in the list, I may not think to ask the Admin to give me permissions to moderate that forum.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Post Reply