Allow username change for administrators in the ucp if its disabled.

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Re: Allow username change for administrators in the ucp if its disabled.

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote:Yes, easy for someone familiar with using the fine-grained controls of the permissions system.
So what would happen if we made the global setting actually set the permission under the covers? if the admin changed the matching permission(s), the global setting would change appropriately?

That way there's a shortcut for newbies but it will work the same as it would for expert users. There won't be a question about whether the global setting overrides the permission because they'll really be the same thing.

This is similar to having the Set and enable Quick Reply in all forums button (although, in that case, I would make setting the control to Yes turn it on in all forums and setting it to No would turn it off in all forums; you would obviously need a three-state radio button in that case, though, to indicate that it was on in some and off in others if the user changed individual forum settings.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

VOLKERMORD

Post by VOLKERMORD »

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Pony99CA wrote:
EXreaction wrote:Yes, easy for someone familiar with using the fine-grained controls of the permissions system.
So what would happen if we made the global setting actually set the permission under the covers? if the admin changed the matching permission(s), the global setting would change appropriately?

That way there's a shortcut for newbies but it will work the same as it would for expert users. There won't be a question about whether the global setting overrides the permission because they'll really be the same thing.

This is similar to having the Set and enable Quick Reply in all forums button (although, in that case, I would make setting the control to Yes turn it on in all forums and setting it to No would turn it off in all forums; you would obviously need a three-state radio button in that case, though, to indicate that it was on in some and off in others if the user changed individual forum settings.)

Steve
That might be one way to do it. There is no code to assign permissions for everyone currently, which maybe needs to be a part of the API as doing this is not trivial due to roles/individual permissions.