[RFC] user signature modifications for posts

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Atramez_Zeton

[RFC] user signature modifications for posts

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

Introduction:
  • Every time you open a topic and read users posts you find users signatures are shown over and over again at the end of every post they do, lot of times the signature is bigger than the post itself that you get confused if its a reply or a signature, it might include big picture which will wash out the topic and make it hard for user to follow and track the posts.
Proposal:
Admin can determine either:
  • show the signature one time per topic per user.
  • show the signature one time per page per user.
    or
  • keep the default settings to view at each post
Advantages:
  • less crowded topics.
  • less loading time.
  • better visual reading
  • cleaner page.
Disadvanges:
  • cant think of any.
Tracker ticket
Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11282
Last edited by bantu on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] user signature modifications for posts

Post by DavidIQ »

Sorry but I completely disagree with the idea as signatures will then become that much less useful. If you don't like long signatures then don't allow them. If you don't like big pictures in signatures then don't allow those. If this does indeed come to pass then it should be on a configuration switch and the feature disabled by default.

Atramez_Zeton

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

DavidIQ wrote:Sorry but I completely disagree with the idea as signatures will then become that much less useful. If you don't like long signatures then don't allow them. If you don't like big pictures in signatures then don't allow those. If this does indeed come to pass then it should be on a configuration switch and the feature disabled by default.
I forgot to add it can be a switch not a hardcore modification.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

DavidIQ wrote:Sorry but I completely disagree with the idea as signatures will then become that much less useful. If you don't like long signatures then don't allow them. If you don't like big pictures in signatures then don't allow those.
I agree.

Atramez_Zeton

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

DavidIQ wrote:Sorry but I completely disagree with the idea as signatures will then become that much less useful. If you don't like long signatures then don't allow them. If you don't like big pictures in signatures then don't allow those.
even couple of text lines and small images can make difference IMO.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I understand the frustration with idiots who have a 15-line signature and just post "+1" (not here of course). However, as David pointed out, just disallow long signatures. Also, the user has the ability in the UCP to turn signatures off (Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display signatures).

However, maybe we could add a button to the Display signatures option, like Once per page. That puts the user in more control. I don't know what kind of performance hit that would be, though (you'd have to keep a list of which users had posted on the page already and then check that list for every post after the first).

Having an ACP option seems like overkill.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I would support an option for a user to not show signatures when viewing (others') posts.

Alternatively I might support the knob being requested here, but as a per-user option for the viewing user rather than an admin setting. Boards with 200px tall signatures in every post don't have them for technical reasons, it's a policy issue. (And I assume someone actually wants things to be that way.)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Oleg wrote:I would support an option for a user to not show signatures when viewing (others') posts.

Alternatively I might support the knob being requested here, but as a per-user option for the viewing user rather than an admin setting. Boards with 200px tall signatures in every post don't have them for technical reasons, it's a policy issue. (And I assume someone actually wants things to be that way.)
Users already have the option to hide signatures in the UCP.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

How about a way to individually hide signatures from being viewed? Something like an "X" near the top right corner of all signatures that allows the user to hide all signatures from that user (with a confirmation, of course).

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You would then have to store that for every single user for every single user signature they click on to hide. Sounds like an extension to me.