[RFC] Cookie notice

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] Cookie notice

Post by brunoais »

EXreaction wrote:Browsers don't generally make it easy to block certain sites from setting cookies...probably because they think it's ridiculous.
Dunno about other browsers but in firefox it's very easy to setup to "accept | accept for session | block" cookies individually or by domain or subdomain. I have it setup to ask me for confirmation before accepting any cookies. It's not a pain because it is also setup such that it only asks once for all cookies per subdomain and it saves all options I make.
BTW, opera is also easy to setup to work the same way. The UI is a bit different (as expected), though.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Pony99CA wrote: Regardless, I presume that the lawmakers didn't want either of those all-or-nothing approaches.
They didn't think that far ;-)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Pony99CA wrote:...maybe we should have a "Legal Settings" section in the ACP to control COPPA, this cookie law, the German Impressum/Imprint law, etc. That way everything would be grouped together and easily located. The installation documentation could tell people to check that page for these things...
+1, Legal Settings would be great!

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:Do a lot of browsers allow disabling JavaScript on a per-site basis, much less on a per-cookie basis?
Chrome allows you to block cookies per site. At least, on version 21.0.1180.60 if you go to Settings and scroll down to click Advanced Settings, then under Privacy click Content settings. Under the Cookies heading, click Exceptions. You can specify specific hostnames to allow, clear on each session, and block.

Of course you're asking about Javascript, and I don't believe it is possible to block javascript per-site without something like NoScript.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I just wrote a Legal Settings Page RFC. I would suggest that cookie notification settings (as opposed to the board's cookie settings) be configurable there.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree that we should have the option of displaying such a warning, depending on how unobstrusive it actually turns out, I would even support enabling it by default, simply because it provides useful information even in countries that do not require it. But I would decide that after we have an actual design proposal. I certainly don't want any more options to be added to the installer, and agree this should go on a legal settings page.

bobby124

Post by bobby124 »

Hello,
What about this extension? Is there a release? If yes how enable this? Thanks.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed »

+1 disable by default
+1 for allow during install (nice senky)
I have done one for joomla footer and just about to do the 3.012 footer

Im not an EU site (new zealand) but SOOOOOOOO many users query me on what our cookies doing

:)

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

naderman wrote:I agree that we should have the option of displaying such a warning, depending on how unobstrusive it actually turns out, I would even support enabling it by default, simply because it provides useful information even in countries that do not require it. But I would decide that after we have an actual design proposal. I certainly don't want any more options to be added to the installer, and agree this should go on a legal settings page.
I agree also because it's law in some countries now that you have to show it for people to accept if running a forum in that country. So yes, the accept cookie thing should probably be a default feature added to turn on or off. Depending if you have to show it or not, as not everyone has too.