FAQ Manager

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

FAQ Manager

Post by EXreaction » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 am

Would there be any interest in making the FAQ Manager a default feature of phpBB?
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/faq_manager

There are some screenshots here for those of you who are not familiar with it.

The code is pretty old (but still works), doesn't support FTP/downloads (only direct write), and needs a couple other minor things changed, but that would be fairly easy to fix if there was interest.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Senky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:35 am

Items are saved into DB, or it changes php file directly? I would go in the way of saving it into DB (there will never be overload because of large amount of rows in such DB table, I think).

User avatar
Meis2M
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Meis2M » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:39 am

good idea

User avatar
callumacrae
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by callumacrae » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 am

It's a nice mod, but I feel that a feature like this should use a lot more AJAX than that mod does.

+1, though.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Currently, the FAQ is not used (i.e. changed per board) much, from what I've seen. I'm not sure if that is a direct consequence due to the fact that you have to edit a file to change FAQ entries or it is because people don't really use FAQs very often any more. If the former, then this would definitely be beneficial, as it would allow administrators to easily modify their FAQ page without having to edit files, and would possibly encourage more administrators to do so. If the latter, then this is probably not something we need to focus our time on, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it eventually.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by EXreaction » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Senky wrote:Items are saved into DB, or it changes php file directly? I would go in the way of saving it into DB (there will never be overload because of large amount of rows in such DB table, I think).
It uses the php file. I wouldn't want to change it to db just because I'd have to rewrite the entire FAQ system and build a new manager for it (that's more work than I desire for this).
callumacrae wrote:It's a nice mod, but I feel that a feature like this should use a lot more AJAX than that mod does.

+1, though.
Does ACP Forums use any Ajax now? That's what this was based off of. If it does it would be fairly easy to copy from that.
imkingdavid wrote:Currently, the FAQ is not used (i.e. changed per board) much, from what I've seen. I'm not sure if that is a direct consequence due to the fact that you have to edit a file to change FAQ entries or it is because people don't really use FAQs very often any more. If the former, then this would definitely be beneficial, as it would allow administrators to easily modify their FAQ page without having to edit files, and would possibly encourage more administrators to do so. If the latter, then this is probably not something we need to focus our time on, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it eventually.
I would think it's a mix of both. There is really no way to update the FAQ easily (you _can_ with the language editor, but it's a terrible experience), but also most boards are not large enough to warrant making a large FAQ page (especially if it's complicated).

The reason I'm suggesting this is because my old FAQ Manager mod still works perfectly and, if everyone is fine with using the 3.0 style of code in this module, it would only require minor work to add a couple of necessary features for all board owners.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Senky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:06 pm

EXreaction wrote:...It uses the php file. I wouldn't want to change it to db just because I'd have to rewrite the entire FAQ system and build a new manager for it (that's more work than I desire for this)...
Okay, it is sufficient, indeed.
EXreaction wrote:...Does ACP Forums use any Ajax now? That's what this was based off of. If it does it would be fairly easy to copy from that.
According to my knowledge yes - moving forum up or down uses ajax.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by MichaelC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:10 pm

+1.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ecwpa
Registered User
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:10 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by ecwpa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:41 am

+1
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

User avatar
Jacob
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Jacob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't really think that many people would benefit from this. Nobody reads the FAQ, anyway. :P

Better as an extension, in my opinion.

Post Reply