forgot username

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
sajaki

forgot username

Post by sajaki »

hi,
I think there should be a feature to recover the password if you forgot the username. Now, phpbb asks for both username and email. the username is not something everyone (me included, i must be getting old) tends to remember for boards visited a long time ago.

EXreaction

Re: forgot username

Post by EXreaction »

What about just changing the forgot password form to require an email address, then sending an email with the username and a link to reset the password to that email address?

The only interesting case would be if the forum allows users to register multiple times with the same email address and there are multiple accounts registered on that email address.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

EXreaction wrote:The only interesting case would be if the forum allows users to register multiple times with the same email address and there are multiple accounts registered on that email address.
I think most people only use that for debugging. It'd be interesting to know, though - and I certainly wouldn't be against the removal of it. It would make upgrades a pain, though.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Allowing multiple accounts on the same email is used for some text-based game forums that allow users to have multiple characters, each on its own account, without requiring a new email for each one. There are also probably other perfectly valid uses of the feature. As such, using only an email address would not work because you would need to specify which account you are trying to reset.

Perhaps we could add a Forgot Username feature that requires only the email address sends a list of the usernames linked to that email address, and then the user can figure out which one he is trying to reset from that list, and then use the existing Forgot Password feature?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

In case of multiple accounts we could just email all usernames, as all are owned by the same email address anyway
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, just have a list of all the accounts

username
reset password link

username2
reset password link2

username3
reset password link3

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

imkingdavid wrote:Perhaps we could add a Forgot Username feature that requires only the email address sends a list of the usernames linked to that email address, and then the user can figure out which one he is trying to reset from that list, and then use the existing Forgot Password feature?
nickvergessen wrote:In case of multiple accounts we could just email all usernames, as all are owned by the same email address anyway
EXreaction wrote:Yes, just have a list of all the accounts

username
reset password link

username2
reset password link2

username3
reset password link3
+1, this should be an RFC, no?
-Jonah

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Feel free to create one.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I just tried to register on here, and got the notice that an account already existed with my email address.

I googled "phpbb forgot username" and found this thread, amusingly on the same forum I was trying to access.

As it turns out, the first username I tried was the right one, and I'm here logged in ok. But having this feature would have saved me needing to guess it.

Did this make it to the RFC stage?

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

+1
Many users on my forum have the same problem :(