[RFC] New Custom Profile Field Types

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Darkness_demoN

Re: [RFC] New Custom Profile Field Types

Post by Darkness_demoN »

What will happend with this ?

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

It will happen
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Thanx :)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:It will happen
Does that mean that this should be marked "Accepted"?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

URL was merged, IM services should be supported (just look at the ICQ sample)
Formatted Text is a hard step. Will require quite some changes to the system again, not sure whether its worth it :/
I don't quite understand your Image request.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:URL was merged, IM services should be supported (just look at the ICQ sample)
When you say they were merged, do you mean that an admin can define new Custom Profile Fields with URL and IM types, or that you just converted the old profile fields to be custom but the admin can't define new fields of those types?
nickvergessen wrote:Formatted Text is a hard step. Will require quite some changes to the system again, not sure whether its worth it :/
It's worth it, I think, but maybe not right now. :)
nickvergessen wrote:I don't quite understand your Image request.
This is for things like profile photos. An admin may allow users to include a photo of themselves in their profile, for example. It could also be used for "mood" icons or other things.

In fact, an avatar could be considered an image profile field already, but I'm not suggesting making avatars Custom Profile Fields (they have other semantics that images probably won't, like the gallery).

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Pony99CA wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:URL was merged, IM services should be supported (just look at the ICQ sample)
When you say they were merged, do you mean that an admin can define new Custom Profile Fields with URL and IM types, or that you just converted the old profile fields to be custom but the admin can't define new fields of those types?
Yes they can, that was the whole idea of all this. Nothing about icq/wlm/aim/www/... is hardcoded anymore, apart from the image being displayed on the button. But one can easily add his own image there and drop it in, to use it with a new field.
Pony99CA wrote:
This is for things like profile photos. An admin may allow users to include a photo of themselves in their profile, for example. It could also be used for "mood" icons or other things.
You can already do that with a little work on the dropdown?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

nickvergessen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Yes they can, that was the whole idea of all this. Nothing about icq/wlm/aim/www/... is hardcoded anymore, apart from the image being displayed on the button. But one can easily add his own image there and drop it in, to use it with a new field.
That sounds good. You could have made Web site a CPF, for example, but not added an option to the drop-down list to create new ones.

By the way, does URL support all protocols (mailto:, for example), not just http: and https:?
nickvergessen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
You can already do that with a little work on the dropdown?
I'm not sure what you mean by "a little work on the dropdown". Are you saying that would be an extension?

If you allow setting icons for IM services, it seems like adding an Image CPF should be fairly easy. You'd basically have most of the same options for that as you do for avatars (maximum dimensions, maximum size, upload or URL, etc.).

Anyway, thanks for your work. These options that you've already added will make CPFs much more useful.

Steve

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

I've try to make Dropdown box with images. First i do was to wrap them in [img] tag than after i save i go to choose between 2 of the images but i only see img tags and urls. Than i think its may be with a < img /> but still the same only text ( that img tag and path to the image ). What i need to do to make it image ?

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Images are not supported inside an option. This has nothing to do with phpBB, but rather the HTML spec. Even CSS background-images for select options are only supported in Firefox afaik.

So the only real way to do this is by using javascript. Something like this: http://www.marghoobsuleman.com/jquery-image-dropdown