[RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Jacob

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by Jacob »

DavidIQ wrote:+1 for being kept as an extension.
Same here.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

DavidIQ wrote:+1 for being kept as an extension.
Besides, that's what it was intended for, right? (it was intended as a MOD and now we are thinking it as an extension. Basically the same)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

No. This was not an RFC to change the MOD to an extension. There is no need to have RFCs for that. This was an RFC to include it in the core.

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

SMF do have syntax highlighting implemented at its core... So do many other bulletin board softwares. So, I dont think it is bad to implement it at core... Performance issues have to be considered.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

AliasM2K wrote:SMF do have syntax highlighting implemented at its core... So do many other bulletin board softwares. So, I dont think it is bad to implement it at core... Performance issues have to be considered.
"BB solution xyz has feature abc" has never been an reason for something to be included in phpBB.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

AliasM2K wrote:SMF do have syntax highlighting implemented at its core... So do many other bulletin board softwares. So, I dont think it is bad to implement it at core... Performance issues have to be considered.
It might not be "bad", but ultimately, features are included because they will be helpful to the majority of phpBB boards. Only one small subset (i.e. programming-oriented boards) will even have a need for syntax highlighting. So, for features that only cater to a certain group of boards, we encourage them being implemented as extensions.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

imkingdavid wrote:features are included because they will be helpful to the majority of phpBB boards. Only one small subset (i.e. programming-oriented boards) will even have a need for syntax highlighting. So, for features that only cater to a certain group of boards, we encourage them being implemented as extensions.
I'm interested in hearing how this is "helpful to the mjority of phpBB boards":

Code: Select all

<?php
print 'This is PHP code, a default feature in 3.0.x';
?>
Is this being removed in 3.1.x? :?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I think it should. If someone wants true syntax highlighting they can drop in an extension. I personally don't like the fact that we have the "code=PHP" syntax available in the default package. Plus it messes up tabs.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

t_backoff wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:features are included because they will be helpful to the majority of phpBB boards. Only one small subset (i.e. programming-oriented boards) will even have a need for syntax highlighting. So, for features that only cater to a certain group of boards, we encourage them being implemented as extensions.

<?php
?>
I'm not a big fan of removing features unless there is a grounded reason for that (and an RFC was created for that ;)). But I quite frankly never understood why the php syntax highlighting was added in the first place.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

t_backoff wrote:

<?php
?>
There was a different mentality to which features should be added and who decided which features should be added then. It was probably a developer who thought it would be helpful to him, not thinking if it was helpful to the majority of the phpBB user base and there wasn't much discussion about things then for others to object. Now we focus more on who would it be helpful too and more people can object (or agree).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.