[RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by imkingdavid » Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Well, I can't exactly speak to why they added PHP highlighting because I wasn't around when that happened. I would guess that because phpBB is written in PHP, it made sense at the time for PHP highlighting to work. They probably added it so they could use it on phpBB.com and then said "Hey, why not put it in the package?"

Anyway, as Unknown Bliss said, development processes and mentalities have changed since that was added. At the point, at least how I see it, features should be scrutinized based not only on their practicality in general, but also on their applicability to the phpBB admin community at large, rather than a small subset of people who actually do programming or need to post different types of code.

That being said, I disagree with DavidIQ about removing the PHP highlighting. In my opinion, people have come to expect it. And for those who are upgrading 3.0 to 3.1, what do we do with the existing "code=php"? Just ignore it and treat it as normal? That would just bring up a lot of confusion and unhappiness from those who have used it. And I like it. :ugeek:
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
AliasM2K
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:33 am

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by AliasM2K » Tue May 15, 2012 1:49 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
AliasM2K wrote:SMF do have syntax highlighting implemented at its core... So do many other bulletin board softwares. So, I dont think it is bad to implement it at core... Performance issues have to be considered.
"BB solution xyz has feature abc" has never been an reason for something to be included in phpBB.
I did not mean to copy other bb solution implementations. I just meant that as majority of boards has it implemented, it might be good :D

By the way, why not package it as an extension which is active by default, but may be deactivated later?

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by imkingdavid » Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 am

AliasM2K wrote:By the way, why not package it as an extension which is active by default, but may be deactivated later?
The point of extensions is to have features not in the core. How would it make sense to include an extension with phpBB? If the feature is going to be part of phpBB, it should be integrated fully instead of made as an extension. And if it were included, I would actually make it deactivated by default since as I have said, most boards don't need a syntax highlighter.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by MichaelC » Tue May 15, 2012 3:04 pm

imkingdavid wrote:
AliasM2K wrote:By the way, why not package it as an extension which is active by default, but may be deactivated later?
The point of extensions is to have features not in the core. How would it make sense to include an extension with phpBB? If the feature is going to be part of phpBB, it should be integrated fully instead of made as an extension. And if it were included, I would actually make it deactivated by default since as I have said, most boards don't need a syntax highlighter.
Actually that's a bit like what drupal does and they do it very nicely. All their components (node, admin, taxonomy, anti-spam etc) are all added as 'extensions' (or which ever term they use), which can be disabled/enabled etc. The extensions can require others or simply be required by drupal (and therefore can't be disabled).

But I agree, including extensions in the core is not something for 3.x ( phpBB 4.x is a different discussion).
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

User avatar
AliasM2K
Registered User
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:33 am

Re: [RFC] GeSHi highlighting

Post by AliasM2K » Wed May 16, 2012 1:42 am

Unknown Bliss wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
AliasM2K wrote:By the way, why not package it as an extension which is active by default, but may be deactivated later?
The point of extensions is to have features not in the core. How would it make sense to include an extension with phpBB? If the feature is going to be part of phpBB, it should be integrated fully instead of made as an extension. And if it were included, I would actually make it deactivated by default since as I have said, most boards don't need a syntax highlighter.
Actually that's a bit like what drupal does and they do it very nicely. All their components (node, admin, taxonomy, anti-spam etc) are all added as 'extensions' (or which ever term they use), which can be disabled/enabled etc. The extensions can require others or simply be required by drupal (and therefore can't be disabled).

But I agree, including extensions in the core is not something for 3.x ( phpBB 4.x is a different discussion).
Yup. That was exactly what I meant. But, if phpBB doesn't do that... Ok..

Post Reply