[RFC] Auth Plugin Refactoring & User Integration

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Re: [RFC] Auth Plugin Refactoring & User Integration

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I just want to be able to turn it off; I don't want my users to register or login in via a 3rd party...especially not fb/twitter/etc.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I just want to be able to turn it off; I don't want my users to register or login in via a 3rd party...especially not fb/twitter/etc.
Ditto lol ;)

standalonus

Post by standalonus »

@ Hardolaf thank you for replying, appreciate it.

Hardolaf
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Hardolaf »

As with most things in phpBB which are not necessary to running a board properly, this is disabled by default.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Just wondering if there are any updates on this?

I've just installed 3.1RC2 for testing and I noticed the Oauth stuff, pretty excited by it as I think it will definitely help me gain more registrations if it can work that way (Registration through fb/twitter/google etc)

The only thing is, I'm confused by the actual setup of it all. Is/will there be any documentation/help on whether or not an app needs to be set up at fb, twitter etc, and how to set those up?

Hardolaf
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Hardolaf »

Volksdevil wrote:Just wondering if there are any updates on this?
Not from me. I've been busy with work all summer. Well, not so much busy as I've average 40 hours a week, but mentally drained after it so I haven't done anything and I don't think anyone else has stepped up.
Volksdevil wrote:I've just installed 3.1RC2 for testing and I noticed the Oauth stuff, pretty excited by it as I think it will definitely help me gain more registrations if it can work that way (Registration through fb/twitter/google etc)
Registration was sadly not finished. You can register by trying to login with an external account though. The interface for doing it from the registration page was never finished.
Volksdevil wrote:The only thing is, I'm confused by the actual setup of it all. Is/will there be any documentation/help on whether or not an app needs to be set up at fb, twitter etc, and how to set those up?
I never got around to documenting the process for each to set them up. Generally it's just you need to get an API key and a secret from each provider you want to use. I'll see if I can get some documentation on this around prior to release but I can't make any promises as I'm looking at 50 to 60 hour weeks ahead of me to finish a project at work before the start of the new academic year.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

No problem, thanks for the comprehensive answers :-) Would be great to see any progress you can manage, although I appreciate you have to prioritize.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Why no twitter?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

OAuth is not specific to any particular service and, in fact, Twitter uses it. So if someone wanted to integrate through an extension with any particular social network they could, for the most part.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Hopefully we can see this 'Polished up' some time soon.