Drop distinction between style name and style path

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Drop distinction between style name and style path

Post by Oleg »

No.

There should be two pieces of information:

1. "style name". This is also the name of style directory. Style name uniquely identifies the style [*]. All code references to the style that want something from the filesystem under the style must use style name. Any time styles are listed in acp ui they should be identified by their style name. Style name is stored in the database whenever the respective style is installed.

[*] Extensions allow the possibility of two extensions defining the same style. Need to deal with this somehow.

2. "style display name". This is a user-friendly name of the style. Users (i.e. not acp) see this when styles are mentioned in board UI. In acp, style display name should be displayed after style name for the purposes of informing the administrator of what the users will see. It is not necessary to show style display name on all acp pages involving styles; it is sufficient to have a single page that tells administrators what style display names are for each style.

Style display names do not have to be unique. They are specified in style cfg file only and never in the database. It is the responsibility of board admin to not install two styles with the same display name to prevent confusing their users. phpbb may or may not allow having two styles with the same display name enabled.

---

The current code uses "style name" and "style path". Sometimes these are not correctly used, per the first post, i.e. "style name" is used to refer to the path and/or vice versa. The call sites should be analyzed and converted to either new "style name" if filesystem path or a unique identifier is desired, or new "style display name" if a user-friendly label is desired.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Oh! Now I got it!!! In that case, I'm for this RFC and not against.
+1 from me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Another change that should be done: currently in acp when going to styles -> details for a style, there is a text box to change style name. That functionality would be removed.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Oleg wrote:Another change that should be done: currently in acp when going to styles -> details for a style, there is a text box to change style name. That functionality would be removed.
That' depends what you mean. I think that the Admin should be allowed to change the Display Name; he should not be allowed to change the path name.

For example, suppose somebody created a style called Porsche Red. Further suppose that I love the style, but run a Ferrari site. I might want to rename that style to Ferrari Red or something.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

That is accomplished by editing display name in style config file (to become composer.json).