[RFC] Improved AntiSpam Countermeasures by default

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Re: [RFC] Improved AntiSpam Countermeasures by default

Post by bonelifer »

They do have free accounts but none the less they also have "coporate/commercial" accounts. At the end of the day they are charging those people for the same info that is free at SFS. Which Botscout itself is stealing from SFS, which is a violation of SFS's Terms of Use.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello bonelifer,
bonelifer wrote:They do have free accounts but none the less they also have "coporate/commercial" accounts.
What's the problem here?

Do you have a source for your statement about the stolen data thing?

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello bonelifer,
I asked at the SFS (Registered Members Only) forum: Yes, BotScout used SFS data in a not allowed way. But they did it only for a short period. And then they stopped it till today. It's more than one year ago.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

I'd be interested in seeing a more technical description of how a plugin-friendly spam-prevention-system could work.

Also, please note that submitting a network address to a third party might not be legal in some juristications. Even worse for passing full posts.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Andreas,
I've sent you a (german language) PM.

Bye Martin

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

bantu wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a more technical description of how a plugin-friendly spam-prevention-system could work.

Also, please note that submitting a network address to a third party might not be legal in some juristications. Even worse for passing full posts.
I see.

Another great way to provide good antispam, is the captcha shown here: http://www.phpbbsmith.com/projects/phpb ... ation.html and Microsoft has one here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... ts/asirra/

they don't prevent "human spam" but they are by far, the best captchas I've ever used. The only way a bot can break through is if they get it at random, a bot can't tell the difference between a cat, a house, a dog, whatever. Something like those kind of captchas would be really nice, and it wouldn't necessarily rely on a third party. (Unless you use Asirra, but how would that be different from Recaptcha anyway?).

What I'm saying is phpBB needs a lot better spam prevention methods in the core, so that people can easily prevent spam without having to use mods/plugins etc.
-Jonah

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

bantu wrote:
Can you explain how that is the case?

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

*Daniel wrote:
bantu wrote:
Some countries have laws that would make it illegal for "private information" be passed to a third party. It depends on the laws what they concern is "private info", but email, IP address, etc "may" be considered private, and rightfully so, if info is being passed to a third party, it should be stated in a privacy policy. I can't give you a list of countries as I don't follow laws in other countries because it's hard enough for me to do that here in Canada as it is, but certainly believable.

That said, I still think it would be a good idea to include antispam features like better captchas (as I posted above), SFS integration, Akismet, even though they might not be allowed in some countries, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to use them, as they should be turned off by default anyway.

That said, when I put in the title "by default", I really meant included in the core by default.
-Jonah

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

jsebean wrote:
*Daniel wrote:
bantu wrote:
Some countries have laws that would make it illegal for "private information" be passed to a third party. It depends on the laws what they concern is "private info", but email, IP address, etc "may" be considered private, and rightfully so, if info is being passed to a third party, it should be stated in a privacy policy. I can't give you a list of countries as I don't follow laws in other countries because it's hard enough for me to do that here in Canada as it is, but certainly believable.

That said, I still think it would be a good idea to include antispam features like better captchas (as I posted above), SFS integration, Akismet, even though they might not be allowed in some countries, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to use them, as they should be turned off by default anyway.

That said, when I put in the title "by default", I really meant included in the core by default.
I didn't think that IP address was considered private, but anyway.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

*Daniel wrote:
jsebean wrote:
*Daniel wrote:
bantu wrote:

I didn't think that IP address was considered private, but anyway.
I knew someone would say that when I wrote it, I knew it. You get what I mean anyway :lol:
-Jonah