[RFC] Like Post/Thanks system

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
jsebean

[RFC] Like Post/Thanks system

Post by jsebean » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 pm

if we're getting a notification box then we could easily implement this. I am one who is on facebook a lot I have to admit. I don't post much on it since most of facebook stuff I just find is foolish drama, but nonetheless, I find myself liking various posts simple to show as a token I read it and liked it. It would be nice if phpBB also had a Like Post/Thank for Post system. I notice IPB has one built in and it somehow is paired to a reputation system however personally I'm not big on reputation systems personally.

The Like Post/Thank for Post would be used as a token of "I've read it and I like it" because sometimes, it may be more appropriate then to have tons of people posting short posts like "Nice!" or "Good job". The like system would let these people give out this message, it's faster then typing a whole post and shows appreciation. It would then send a notification in the notification box.

It would also give one extra use in the default phpBB install for the notification box since right now all it probably would probably be used for is @mentions and subscriptions.

It should use something like Ajax so there's no refresh/redirection page.
-Jonah

ecwpa

Re: [RFC] Like Post/Thanks system

Post by ecwpa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:26 pm

I don't think phpBB's team want to get involved in a reputation system but a simple "like" field for posts and topics sounds easier and simplier.

I've only seen that on vBulletin but if its done here I think it should be simplier, just a thumb up button with the amount of people liking it and that's it. That's going ot be useful for RFC here even.

That's for post, in the case of topics I think this is almost the same as bookmarks, if not, it gets a bit confusing with bookmarks, subscriptions and now likes/thanks.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

callumacrae
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Post by callumacrae » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

-1 for in the core, but this would be good for an extension.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

jsebean

Post by jsebean » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm

ecwpa wrote:I don't think phpBB's team want to get involved in a reputation system but a simple "like" field for posts and topics sounds easier and simplier.

I've only seen that on vBulletin but if its done here I think it should be simplier, just a thumb up button with the amount of people liking it and that's it. That's going ot be useful for RFC here even.

That's for post, in the case of topics I think this is almost the same as bookmarks, if not, it gets a bit confusing with bookmarks, subscriptions and now likes/thanks.
I'm not big on reputation systems and I feel they can be sort of a popularity contest/can be negative and, even if one day phpBB decided to create one, it should be independent from a like post system.

For the Like (or thank) system, it should be for each and every post.

Also, this feature has nothing to do with bookmarks and subscriptions nor has it to do anything with topics in general, but for each post.
-Jonah

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 am

callumacrae wrote:-1 for in the core, but this would be good for an extension.
Why? even if we just have the opting of liking the post? If it was vote up or vote down then I would say no.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:31 am

*Daniel wrote:
callumacrae wrote:-1 for in the core, but this would be good for an extension.
Why? even if we just have the opting of liking the post? If it was vote up or vote down then I would say no.
Because not everyone is interested in having the feature. If I'm running a tech support forum, for instance, I don't think I'd use this feature at all. Keeping it out of the core helps to keep the package smaller. A thanks system can be very complex as well.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:50 am

Well one example where it would work, on a tech support forum: for one what if there are many people who had the same issue and they found the answer? Then the whole thread would be full of thanks posts. Or does that just not work at all?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:51 am

I would think that a tech support forum would use a "like post" much like StackOverflow. I personally like the idea for 3.2 or beyond.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:12 am

@OP: We should not be adding certain features to make other certain features useful. If a certain feature is only useful in one or two scenarios, we need to rethink if it is really needed in the core. *shrug*

EDIT: To be clear, I am saying that I agree with leaving this to the extension authors. :)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:33 am

I believe liking a post is an extremely powerful tool, it's not necesary related to notifications. With it in place we don't have to reply to something just to agree with it, that's noise reduction, and its great!

I think OP mentioned it because its logical to have it if we're going to go ahead and enhance the social interaction between users within the forum.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D