[RFC] Multiquote

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
galaxyAbstractor
Google Summer of Code Student

[RFC] Multi-quote

Post by galaxyAbstractor »

There is a Quote button, but I would like to see a Multi-quote button as well. It would be useful when quoting multiple posts, obviously, which I often find myself doing in a phpBB forum. So instead of pressing the quote button on all the posts and copy/paste everything to a single postpage/field.

Further could be discussed if it should allow multi-quote on posts spread over several pages or just one page. One page would probably be easiest to code (?) but spreading multiple pages would probably be doable too if you store what posts you have marked for quotation (?).

To start posting with the posts marked to quote maybe one should press the normal post reply button, or maybe have a separate button for it.

Oleg

Re: [RFC] Multi-quote

Post by Oleg »

brunoais

[RFC]Append quote in quick reply

Post by brunoais »

Proposal:
When clicking quote and quick reply is opened append the quote to the reply already in quick reply instead of changing the url and start the topic with the quote.
This does not apply if ctrl or shift is pressed.
Introduction:
One usability that helps using the quoting system and reduces server load is to allow multi quoting in the quick reply system.
If one wants to quote multiple messages, the easiest way for both user and server is to use AJAX, 1 DB query just like it works in /posting.php?mode=reply .

Implementation:
After the pressing the quote button assert that ctrl or shift weren't pressed.
Do like /posting.php?mode=reply implements the quotes.

What do you think?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC]Append quote in quick reply

Post by DavidIQ »

This is like the multi-quote in vBulletin and I like. However what's with the ctrl and shift comments? If I press either I'd be in the regular reply page? Could probably go without that. Also not sure any server postback is needed at all. We can currently quote in the standard reply window (see Topic Review section at the bottom) without having to do that. ;)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Let's keep the current quote button as is and implement this with a "+" icon or something. But yes, I agree that having a multi-quote would be a good idea. And it would be nice to track multi-quotes across pages as well.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Hum...
Then... We could create a multiquote button and...
How about multiquote IP.B style?
1 fixed div placed on the bottom left or right of the screen, about 1,5x the height and 3x the width of the quote button, with a cancel button and a "continue" button.
The div only appears when there is, at least, 1 post selected for multiquote.
To store between pages we could use sessionStore.
What do you think?

_hsr

[RFC] Multiquote

Post by _hsr »

Multiquote as proposed would provide the same functionality as we see in the vbulletin bboard script. If the user needs to quote multiple replies in a single post, he/she can select them either via a separate button for multiquote or using the existing quote button.

Since there is quick reply involved, the best way to implement this is in these cases:

Quick reply enabled, JS enabled

Multiquote button appends the quote to the quick reply textarea, and waits for further input
(will not have unquote functionality)

Quick reply disabled, JS enabled

Multiquote button adds quotes to the queue, via ajax, waits for user to post reply

Quick reply disabled, JS disabled

Multiquote button uses the same functionality as ajax enabled multiquote, but with page redirects
Last edited by _hsr on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a text here !

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Multiquote

Post by brunoais »

Make this an RFC please. That is too simple.
Besides:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42521
RFC already exists.
Unfortunately the discussion paused because the javascript system (AJAX) was being developed and so it was better to wait first for it to be completed.

Anyway, I am one that wanted to do something like this. :D .
Don't steal my job :evil:

Edit: This last paragraph is not showing correctly what I mean or wanted to state. No hard feelings were meant, just playing like something was more serious than it really is.
Last edited by brunoais on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

This has been pausing for quite a while.
I'm still waiting for answer about what was proposed. What should be done about this? May I step forward?
Is the above post a good idea to be directly implemented?
Do you have nice ideas about how this RFC can be improved?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Multiquote

Post by callumacrae »

+1

I don't think it should support browsers with JavaScript disabled. Perhaps hide the button when js is disabled?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog