[RFC] Remove QR post subject field

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
imkingdavid

[RFC] Remove QR post subject field

Post by imkingdavid »

As brought up here, when using the Quick Reply form, the idea is to simply type the message and hit submit. Generally someone that needs to change the subject of a post is not going to need to do so in the QR form. So I propose that we remove it from the QR form and just use the "Re: <topic title>" as the default post subject.

The edits required would be simply removing the HTML from the prosivler/subsilver quickreply_editor.html files and then making sure the PHP isn't necessarily looking for the subject to be included there (and if so, compensating by supplying the information automatically instead of via the form).

Thoughts?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] Remove QR post subject field

Post by MattF »

I think there is still valid reason to keep it. I mean, people can still simply type their message in a QR field without worrying about that field. But if it is there, then they at least have the option of making a change to it, for whatever reason they may have.
Has an irascible disposition.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree, a quick reply is meant to be short and sweet. The subject field is probably used (in regards to being changed) less than other features which are hidden (attatchments, smilies, bbcodes etc.)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

+1 to getting rid of it. Was thinking the same thing earlier today when I saw it. Even the seemingly gigantic "Quick Reply" label seems a bit odd...maybe make it smaller?
DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Like I said in the other topic too, to which imkingdavid linked, I am also for removing the subject line. I think from a design point it creates to much unused space. Also if I use the quick reply I would assume that I reply to the subject which is being discussed in that topic. If I want to change the subject, should I not create another topic for that? Plus in the worst case it could still be changed in the full editor.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Actually in our forum we change the post subject in the QR quite often. There are a number of topics in wich is very usefull (comments about movies, books, paintings... for example -different post, different book-). You simply write your opinion, change the subject and submit it.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

What abou ACP option (I know, there are tons of them even now...) - default = turned off, but able to show it up...
Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Senky wrote:What abou ACP option (I know, there are tons of them even now...) - default = turned off, but able to show it up...

This kind of options are style related, as long the backend isn't removed its pretty easy to add the subject field to the template if an style author wants to have it. This kind of details can easily be handled on a style basis rather than adding an ACP option for it.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

No additional ACP options...we don't need to be configuring every single little part of the system. I agree with Erik. Just make it an option for style authors to include or not or for the admin to add.