[RFC] Convert quoted images to links

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Ger

Re: [RFC] Convert quoted images to links

Post by Ger »

As with all styling: there should be a diferent approach for mobile devices. Therefore I posted a specific RFC for mobile styles.

TBH: I like the approach of A_Jelly_Doughnut more then my original MOD, or even better: make it collapsable.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Instead of making RFC for a specific bbcode tag, why not make it for all tags? That is ability to use different html code for styling bbcode depending on parent items.

So it would be possible to do this:
- style quote -> img differently than img
- style a -> img differently than img
- style quote -> quote differently than parent quote
and so on.

In bbcode.html code could be like this

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN quote_img --> code for img inside quote <!-- END quote_img -->
<!-- BEGIN quote_a_img --> code for img inside link inside quote, which makes it impossible to use link for img <!-- END quote_a_img -->
It makes more sense than doing it only for 1 combination of bbcodes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

It seems to me that if the solution is that simple then the boards that want it should just apply it to themselves.

Specifying arbitrary image size restrictions does not strike me as a great restriction to unconditionally impose on all boards.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

ecwpa wrote: Some templates do that, but I don't think its better. I believe scrolling bars should be avoided as much as possible, it's especially annoying on mobile browsers.
You have to scroll past it no matter what ... only if you want to read past the first paragraph of text do you need use the scrollbar, thereby reducing the total amount of scrolling small form factor users need to do.

I do like Arty's idea, although I'd suggest styling it with CSS, e.g.:

Code: Select all

.quotebox > .codebox {
font-size: 75%;
color: #237f97;
}
A_Jelly_Doughnut