[RFC] Visitor Messages

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
BullsNet

Re: [RFC] Visitor Messages

Post by BullsNet »

DarkBeing wrote:More social? You have a platform where people can interact by posting messages and interact in discussions. How more "social" can you get. I personally have no need for the so called "modern" facebook-like social, which usually just ends in an endless list of mind numbing crap. So a definite -1 from me. If at all it should be a modification/plug-in for phpbb.
You can get more "social" by implementing visitor pages by having an area to leave comments, latest members, etc... This is one of the reasons why phpBB is lacking behind it's competitors such as myBB, IBP, vBulletin, and SMF...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This is the first time I've heard anyone, not counting the two users users that have visited this forum and suggested it, actually endorse this at all. Heck I've not seen a MOD come through on phpbb.com for this either so there's really not a whole lot of interest in this past or present. And just because it's in vBulletin doesn't mean phpBB is "lagging behind" the competition. I find it pretty useless in all of the vBulletin forums I frequent and looking at some of them the feature is not used much if at all. The focus is on the forums themselves, where it should be. This sounds like it would be used as much and would be as useful as the Birthdays feature that was added to phpBB3...

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

DavidIQ wrote:This is the first time I've heard anyone, not counting the two users users that have visited this forum and suggested it, actually endorse this at all. Heck I've not seen a MOD come through on phpbb.com for this either so there's really not a whole lot of interest in this past or present. And just because it's in vBulletin doesn't mean phpBB is "lagging behind" the competition. I find it pretty useless in all of the vBulletin forums I frequent and looking at some of them the feature is not used much if at all. The focus is on the forums themselves, where it should be. This sounds like it would be used as much and would be as useful as the Birthdays feature that was added to phpBB3...
+1
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:This is the first time I've heard anyone, not counting the two users users that have visited this forum and suggested it, actually endorse this at all. Heck I've not seen a MOD come through on phpbb.com for this either so there's really not a whole lot of interest in this past or present. And just because it's in vBulletin doesn't mean phpBB is "lagging behind" the competition. I find it pretty useless in all of the vBulletin forums I frequent and looking at some of them the feature is not used much if at all. The focus is on the forums themselves, where it should be. This sounds like it would be used as much and would be as useful as the Birthdays feature that was added to phpBB3...
+1

But I remember testing a mod that did exactly this xD
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

+1

I think DavidIQ said it very nicely.