[RFC] Clean up of prosilver code

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [RFC] Clean up of prosilver code

Post by hanakin »

RFC link: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42443

as I mentioned it was posted for 3.2 but not merged yet as usaeuall still need to probably determine what the best way to do so would be as ie prior to 9 does not support it and their are many ways to go about how to implement the change. you can disscuss it in that thread though
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Ok so doing some scowering on the web while looking for a framework/grid to use for the redesign of my own site as 960 is kind of dated I came across Twitter Bootstrap..

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/com ... ttonGroups

Pros:
  • its a customizable extremely extensive front end framework including both css and jquery elements used in most web applications.
  • has beutifully thoughtout complete css defualt styling for all the common UI functionality you see in todays web apps
  • beautiful form defualts that render well in all browsers
  • completely responsive and cross platform
  • supports all browsers back to IE7. NOTE: IE6 is dead we should ignore it anyway.
  • has its own customizable grid system that can be fixed or fluid
  • built in reset based on fixing issues ammong different browsers as opposed to the mundane setting everything to 0.
  • built via less frame work so its extremely easy to make mass changes to fonts, colors, consistancies
  • beautifuly degrades in IE as default uses alot of fancy css shadows/gradients/round corners that are well thought out to eliminate the need for so many images.
  • built on stand complinat semantic practices.
  • includes free glyph icons via a sprite image in light and dark colors and classes to add them.
  • completely opensource under the apache 2 license
  • maintained via github which would make including it and updating it a breeze
Drawbacks:
  • the default method they use for this as it requires unnessecary spans to be used in the html, however i believe this is done for accesibility for blind users.
  • we would finally have to fix(eliminate) all the unsemantic crap that the backend spews out, most importantly the f-ing paging, i mean a list of seperate un related links come the f on seriously.
  • their implementation of a primary nav is kind of retarted and not semantic or clean at all but In am sure their is some way to work that out with more resarch into it.
  • I know alot of you do not want to use hardcoded/premade sprites so worth mentioning that it includes one, why i do not know your lazy or just stupid but hey to each their own continue producing the software for the reader as opposed to the developer/designer... the way ... it ... should be!
All in all if nothing else sould be soemthing we could use if slightly modified possibly even fork it and styles team can maintain as a side poject as I definately would be interested in working on that as their are alot of things with it I think could be done better.

Thoughts suggestions?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Please post that in separate topic, this RFC is about cleaning up code, not bloating it with third party frameworks.