[RFC] Revamp of styles section of acp

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] Revamp of styles section of acp

Post by naderman »

Why do we differentiate between uninstalled and deactivated styles at all? Can't we just have active or inactive styles, what is the point of the install step?

Similarly I see no reason why one should not be able to preview an uninstalled style.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I believe deactivated styles can be set as a users style in the acp. When its activated it gives the user the option to use it in the ucp.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

I tend to agree about uninstalled and deactivated styles, for ACP purposes.

Deactivated styles can be previewed since as a parent, it must still be useable.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

What I'm saying is that uninstalled styles should be previewable too.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

naderman wrote: Similarly I see no reason why one should not be able to preview an uninstalled style.
I'm guessing this was not possible when styles were stored in db. It might be possible right now. If we generate files during style installation it may be impossible again.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

naderman wrote:Similarly I see no reason why one should not be able to preview a deactivated style.
Not sure about this. To have to upload a style to view it? That should be sorted already by means of a preview from the source or via localhost.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Arty wrote:It will work fine. Deactivating style only hides it from user selection, it doesn't do anything else, so template inheritance works fine regardless of style status and users can select child styles if parent has been deactivated.
Is that documented on the page for style management?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

naderman wrote:Why do we differentiate between uninstalled and deactivated styles at all? Can't we just have active or inactive styles, what is the point of the install step?

Similarly I see no reason why one should not be able to preview an uninstalled style.
Inactive styles are present in database, uninstalled styles aren't in database. Difference is you can create/install child style of inactive style and admin can select it, but you can't do that with styles that aren't installed.

Maybe change terminology a bit? Change active/inactive to "Allow user selection" checkbox. Active = that checkbox checked, inactive = unchecked.
naderman wrote:What I'm saying is that uninstalled styles should be previewable too.
That's a good idea.
Oleg wrote:I'm guessing this was not possible when styles were stored in db. It might be possible right now. If we generate files during style installation it may be impossible again.
It was possible in 3.0 with some code changes. I have it working on my 3.0 styles demo, allowing users to preview styles by style path instead of id.
nickvergessen wrote:
Arty wrote:It will work fine. Deactivating style only hides it from user selection, it doesn't do anything else, so template inheritance works fine regardless of style status and users can select child styles if parent has been deactivated.
Is that documented on the page for style management?
No, its not.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Arty wrote:
naderman wrote:Why do we differentiate between uninstalled and deactivated styles at all? Can't we just have active or inactive styles, what is the point of the install step?

Inactive styles are present in database, uninstalled styles aren't in database. Difference is you can create/install child style of inactive style and admin can select it, but you can't do that with styles that aren't installed.

Maybe change terminology a bit? Change active/inactive to "Allow user selection" checkbox. Active = that checkbox checked, inactive = unchecked.
That doesn't really answer my question. My question is, why can you only create/install child styles of inactive styles, what's preventing that from working with an uninstalled one?

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Nothing really.

But, if parent style is not installed, admin might just delete its files, thinking that its ok to do, resulting in missing template files. In worst case he'll delete parent template that has login template files, which will make it impossible for him to log into his own forum. Then he'll run to style author complaining that style messed up his forum and he had to reinstall it all.

If style is installed, admin should know better than to delete files.