In this topic it was brought up that style authors are limited to using only the language entries provided in the core installation.
This prevents the inclusion of new style-specific sections (such as a Quick Links menu). Currently, they can just use an image (to prevent getting denied for using Hard Coded language text), but there is an RFC to remove imagesets (for language-specific images) in 3.1.
As such, there arises a need for styles to be able to include their own language variables so that they can include new style components easily.
There are two main ways I see of implementing this, (extact file naming/structure is up for discussion):
- Put the file in the language directory (such as language/en/style/prosilver.php or language/en/style_prosilver.php)
- Upside, language files stay together
- Downside is that the style isn't just one nice directory to download and upload into the styles/ folder.
- Put language file in styles directory (such as styles/prosilver/lang/en.php) Update: This is the preferred method.
- Upside, style files are all contained in their style directory
- Downside, language files are no longer all in the language/ directory.
Ideas? Thoughts? Things I missed?