[RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
imkingdavid

[RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by imkingdavid »

It was brought up here that some of the permissions are possibly a bit too over-the-top and aren't really necessary.

So we should discuss some of the permissions that are not really needed.

The one highlighted at the link I provided was 'u_pm_delete'.

I'll start a branch for this and remove permissions as they are decided unnecessary.

Removed:
  • u_pm_delete - "Can remove private messages from own folder" - First of all, a user can only view his/her own folder, so why the specific language? Anyway, It makes sense to restrict creating PMs, but not to restrict deleting them. What happens when a user's folders get full and they cannot delete any PMs?
  • u_pm_printpm - "Can print private messages" - Really? In what case could printing a PM be malicious? In fact, there's no way to actually prevent printing a PM, only to restrict the viewing of the printer-friendly version.
  • f_print - "Can print topics" - Same with printing PMs. Why should this be restricted?
  • f_subscribe - "Can subscribe forum" - Why should users be disallowed to subscribe?
  • u_pm_emailpm - "Can e-mail private messages" - This permission is currently just taking up extra space; it is not actually used anywhere. NOTE: There is a ticket for adding the functionality for this permission here
  • u_pm_forward - "Can forward private messages" - "Seems rather silly" NOTE: Instead, forwarding should be attached to u_sendpm ("Can send private messages")
  • u_pm_download - "Can download files in private messages" - If a message is sent with attachments, the point is for the recipient to be able to download them. Why restrict such behavior?
  • u_savedrafts - "Can save drafts" - if you can post/send PM, you can save a draft - NOTE: Instead of this permission, it now checks for (f_post || f_reply) in posting.php (u_sendpm || u_pm_reply) in pm-related files.
  • a_jabber - "Can alter jabber settings" - suggest: merging with a_server - NOTE: Merged, as suggested, with a_server, which covers all communication settings.
Suggested:
  • ?
Kept:
  • u_chgcensors - "Can disable word censors"
Related Links:
Pull Request
Ticket
Last edited by imkingdavid on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Oleg

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by Oleg »

"Can forward private messages" seems rather silly.

Agreed on u_pm_printpm.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Added that and a few others. Same with f_print.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Why remove u_chgcensors?
The only usecase I can think of is when you have users that you know are under a certain age that you want to always censor bad words for.
But what if you want to keep the forum rated PG12? (I think it that)

Will the other admin setting say in so that admin can still force censor on their board?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

*Daniel wrote: Will the other admin setting say in so that admin can still force censor on their board?
Which admin setting? I only remember the permission for this ...
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
*Daniel wrote: Will the other admin setting say in so that admin can still force censor on their board?
Which admin setting? I only remember the permission for this ...
There 2 as far as I know, one that you set up when creating groups and there a board wide setting as well

1: ACP -> general -> Board settings
Allow disabling of word censoring:
Users can choose to disable the automatic word censoring of posts and private messages.
2: In the permission settings for groups.
Can disable word censors

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Actually it's under Board Features rather than Board Settings

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Oh, yes. Never used that setting. But I'd say keep the setting and remove the permission.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Oh, yes. Never used that setting. But I'd say keep the setting and remove the permission.
+1 No need for both. EDIT: I wonder what happens when you allow the setting on the groups page but disable the permission for groups. :roll:

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

imkingdavid wrote:Actually it's under Board Features rather than Board Settings
Thankyou for picking that up.
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Oh, yes. Never used that setting. But I'd say keep the setting and remove the permission.
+1
imkingdavid wrote:
+1 No need for both. EDIT: I wonder what happens when you allow the setting on the groups page but disable the permission for groups. :roll:
Got no idea at all, I would say that the setting (Board Features) would override the permission settings, but I don't know