[RFC] jQuery Mobile

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
but2002

[RFC] jQuery Mobile

Post by but2002 »

I'm suggesting that with 3.2 a mobile friendly template based on jQuery Mobile be integrated into the core of phpBB3.

Why?
  • With the growing number of mobile devices the ability to easily access, use, and interact with phpBB3 communities from mobile devices should be taken into consideration.
Implementation:
  • Automatic detection of mobile devices and automatic use of the Mobile theme
  • Link within the mobile site to switch to the user's chosen default theme.
    • The forums should remember this for future sessions
    • There should also be an option within the UCP to choose this on non-mobile devices to resolve any incompatibility issues.
  • Option to disable jQuery mobile completely within the ACP.
jQuery Mobile has grown to a mature project with many features, and the framework for building jQuery Mobile websites is very easy and lenient.

A list of sites which have implemented, including Stanford University, is available at this URL: http://jquerymobile.com/resources/
An example which I've developed (in about 1 day) is available here: http://www.fuyuri.com/iOS

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] jQuery Mobile

Post by naderman »

Wouldn't this first require that we actually have a mobile theme? I'm not sure what the addition of a js library alone is going to bring. It'd be helpful if you could explain in more detail how this would actually change how phpbb works.

but2002

Post by but2002 »

jQuery mobile just requires a basic HTML layout.

The library uses the data HTML5 attributes and dynamically styles it with CSS.
To quote their getting started page:
jQuery’s mobile strategy can be summarized simply: A unified user interface system that works seamlessly across all popular mobile device platforms, built on the rock-solid jQuery and jQuery UI foundation. Focused on a lightweight codebase built on progressive enhancement with a flexible, easily themeable design.

The critical difference with our approach is the wide variety of mobile platforms we’re targeting with jQuery Mobile. We’ve been working hard at bringing jQuery support to all mobile browsers that are sufficiently-capable and have at least a nominal amount of market share. In this way, we’re treating mobile web browsers exactly how we treat desktop web browsers.

To make this broad support possible, all pages in jQuery Mobile are built on a foundation of clean, semantic HTML to ensure compatibility with pretty much any web-enabled device. In devices that interpret CSS and JavaScript, jQuery Mobile applies progressive enhancement techniques to unobtrusively transform the semantic page into a rich, interactive experience that leverages the power of jQuery and CSS. Accessibility features such as WAI-ARIA are tightly integrated throughout the framework to provide support for screen readers and other assistive technologies.
Basically, the JS Library doesn't need a theme.. it sort of makes the theme. I'm saying the mobile theme should be created around the jQuery Mobile library because it's very versitile

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

naderman wrote:Wouldn't this first require that we actually have a mobile theme? I'm not sure what the addition of a js library alone is going to bring. It'd be helpful if you could explain in more detail how this would actually change how phpbb works.
Themes are really really easy to write using jQuery Mobile, but if you don't know how it works it's impossible to understand, so the developers would have to learn.

Idea++, by 3.2 my mobile style (using jQuery Mobile) will be done, and you can nick that if you want :D
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

but2002 wrote:Basically, the JS Library doesn't need a theme.. it sort of makes the theme. I'm saying the mobile theme should be created around the jQuery Mobile library because it's very versitile
Well then I'd say this RFC would have to explain the plans for that theme, jQuery mobile on its own doesn't appear to add anything to phpBB?
callumacrae wrote:
naderman wrote:Wouldn't this first require that we actually have a mobile theme? I'm not sure what the addition of a js library alone is going to bring. It'd be helpful if you could explain in more detail how this would actually change how phpbb works.
Themes are really really easy to write using jQuery Mobile, but if you don't know how it works it's impossible to understand, so the developers would have to learn.
I don't think you understood my question. I asked for the RFC to specify what jQuery Mobile should be used for, if there's no use for it there is hardly any reason to include it in phpBB. And regarding the "learning" - well the first step would be to explain it properly in the context of phpBB, that's certainly not impossible.

Again: jQuery Mobile is a tool. The question I have is, what for and how are you going to use it?

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I think its pointless.
  • Many mobile browsers don't even support javascript and those that do have it disabled by default.
  • There is no use for it. Other than theme selection (which should be done via CSS, not JS), it doesn't offer anything.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Arty wrote:I think its pointless.
  • Many mobile browsers don't even support javascript and those that do have it disabled by default.
  • There is no use for it. Other than theme selection (which should be done via CSS, not JS), it doesn't offer anything.
+1 Also Javascript like that can be rather large and some phones may not be able to cope with it.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I believe what the OP was referring to was the fact that jQuery Mobile is a template framework, so he clearly meant that he wants to see a mobile theme written using jQuery Mobile. jQuery Monile is definately the best mobile framework, and it had excellent compatibility.
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Instead of this, themes should be made in a way so that it contains @media types to be used when screens are smaller.
I believe there should be no difference in the HTML between the mobile screens and the PC screens

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:Instead of this, themes should be made in a way so that it contains @media types to be used when screens are smaller.
I believe there should be no difference in the HTML between the mobile screens and the PC screens
Most of the point in mobile styles is that they are smaller, and so load faster. You're suggesting making them bigger?!
My blog